Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Navian tankless gas water hearer / boiler

Looking for info on navian tankless gas water heaters and boilers. are these units holding up? do they work as a boiler and water heater? do they deliver the GPM they say they deliver on just their tankless gas water heaters? Just checking to see what contractors are paying for them. we currently sell Noritz. any info you can email me would be helpful.    eckrobert@rcn.com thanks Bob

Comments

• JoeG
    JoeG Member Posts: 88
    I Love it

Ok, When I was thinking of getting a on Demand water heater I had read

pretty much nothing but bad things of the navien. I then heard that the

2 gen Models which are out now I guess were better so I decied to try

one for my self.

My house has 4 sinks to bath tubs (1 is 100 Gal Whirlpool) 2 showers dish washer and washing machine.

I take showers some times that are pushing 45 Min and not once have I

ever ran out of hot water, I have ran two baths at once and never have

had a problem the water stays hot and the temp doesnt fluctuate much at

all if at all. I have some hi out put water fixtures also.

If I put the unit on recurlation mode it keeps the water hot in the

line and the hot water is pretty instant when its called for and it can

be adjusted to recurulated at certain times. The unit is in basement is

pretty quite and not bad looking its tucked up out of the way.

I leave teh water temp set at 125 Deg.

I am in NY so the ground water is cold at this time of year and the

reps from navien were worried about this but not one issue. I can turn

the water temp up but 125 is plenty hot.

Figured Id tell you guys and I am very happy with the service ( Had set

up questions ) and the unit it self and I do reccommended it.
  • TWar
    TWar Member Posts: 6
    Garbage...

I am a contractor in Canada that has been using Navien's for over two years.  About 6 months ago I quit using them due to consistent callbacks.  In all seriousness I could probably work for their tech support with the amount of work I have done on them.  Over the past 2 years I have installed about 50 units altogether; about half being gen 1 and the other gen 2.  The gen 2 are much better and it seems that any problems that occur with the gen 1 units results in a new PCB about 90% of the time.  They will send the part that needs to be replaced along with the new version 2.0 PCB.  Their tech support is good most of the time and they willingly send parts free of charge but with all the callbacks they aren't worth the trouble.
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Not A Boiler

No matter what the marketing dept has come up with it is not a boiler. Its a water heater and should be referred to as one. Not rated as a boiler, not stamped as a boiler and and in some areas cannot be installed as a boiler (primary heating source).
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Navian or Quietside gas water heater / boiler

has anyone installed either one of these units as a boiler? any trouble with them as a boiler? I would think they are good for hot water for domestic use but I would not want to us them as a boiler. correct me if I am wrong.
  • RobbieDo
    RobbieDo Member Posts: 131
    Quiteside

I have installed about 6 Quiteside boilers, the boiler temp will only go to 176, with heat loss it is about 160-165 degrees. It is nice if the baseboard is oversized then you can compensate for this. As long as there installed right, cleaned and maintained I haven't had any issues with them.
    Rob
  • meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    Quietside Dual Purpose still not stamped or approved as a boiler.

Bob and Robbie.  The Quietside, like most of these other models, is not stamped or approved as a boiler.  Therefore in most jurisdictions cannot be used as a central heating appliance.

Unless they aquired the H stamp recently, even the Dual Purpose model that they market hasn't been approved for this use.
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Navian tankless gas water hearer / boiler or Quietside

That is what I am trying to tell my heating contractors I am a sales person for a P&H wholesaler. Bothe the Navian and Quietside are not rated as a boiler. If you want this type unit look at the new Boiler / water heater from Triangle Tube 96% AFUE and it is condensing in both heating and domestic hot water mode. Domestic hot water needs gets priority. Only up to 125.000 BTU input. Must pipe primary secondary. Not the same heat exchanger as the Prestige series that boiler is top of the condensing boilers.
  • HomeOwner1
    HomeOwner1 Member Posts: 134
    Chris, you are incorrect

It is a boiler. Please stop posting bad information. It is very frustrating to homeowners researching their options.
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Guess You Don't Know How to Read

If you had any character you'd answer the new thread I just posted asking you a question.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • HDE
    HDE Member Posts: 225
    edited March 2013

ACV/Triangle tube makes some fine products, but to correct you so you dont look foolish later, the Navien CH combi is a boiler with ASME approvals.

http://www.navienamerica.com/__DATA/Tech/2013/2/21/CH-ASME%20Spec%20Sheet%20(compressed).pdf
  • HDE
    HDE Member Posts: 225
    Bob

Are you confusing tankless water heater products attempted to be used as a boiler (bad) with the combi boiler products from those companies?
This discussion has been closed.