Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hart & Cooley Ultravent

Options
SpeyFitter
SpeyFitter Member Posts: 422
Anyone in here run into this stuff? I just ran into this stuff for the first time today. It was on a foreclosure. The previous owner(s) duct taped the failed joints, and the pipe was super brittle and very easy to crack which is evidence enough of overheating. It was plastic vent pipe on an 83-84% efficient appliance (cast iron Slant Fin Boiler with an inducer fan). Research shows there may be a recall on it. Anyone else run into this crap?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Ultravent and Plexvent have both been recalled....

They will pay some monies towards the replacement, but it barely covers your labor costs.

ME

P.S. Here is a link to the CPSC web site explaining the process....

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml06/06022.html

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    I installed a....

boatload of it on Burnham 2PV's 10- 15 yrs ago... It was ok. It was also know by  Plexvent by Plexco....Not the easest to cut properly w/o cracking. Most of the problems I saw were on dried up silicone. Saw one job I installed that still had the original venting... just w/ dried up silicone. Vent was intact.

Yes there was a recall... and a HUGE replacement campaign. Burnham again went abouve and beyond to make it right. A ton of other mfg used it also.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Corrective Action Program

The Federal government had a corrective action program where they made the equipment manufacturers as well as Hart and Cooley, and whoever else made this stuff, cough up the $$$ to have all of it replaced. A licensed Gas/ HVAC contractor would get the necessary B vent, power venter and draft regulator from his local supply house and the fund would cover the materials but not any labor. Or the customer could get $400 toward a new appliance.

We ran into one last winter and the 800 number for the program was still active, but they would not give the customer any $$$ towards a new furnace.

It's absolutely mandatory that the UltraVent be replaced.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
This discussion has been closed.