Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Which LWCO? CG400 1060 or 2090

I would like to install a Hydro level CG400 LWCO to a steam boiler. How do I know if I should install the CG400-1060 or the CG400-2090? Its a Weil Mclain PEG30 so only about 60,000 btu, 8 gal of water content and 5 rads.

Thanks.

Comments

• jpf321
    jpf321 Member Posts: 1,568
    here's the spec sheet ....

which describes the differences in the 4 different models ...

http://www.hydrolevel.com/new/images/literature/spec_sheets/cyclegard_spec_sheet.pdf

if it were me, i'd want the 1560 or the 2060 .. i think this is the "foam test" feature .. where it will shut the boiler down every X minutes and check for Y seconds to make sure you have actual water "not just foam" .. my preference would be to have that check happen as infrequently as possible.. at least now we know what the model numbers describe .. i'm not sure what the industry (or wall) preference is for "burner off foam checking".

most boiler runs don't last 50mins (at least in my limitied experience) .. so the 1560 would likely not shut you down very often .. and if it does, for only 60secs .. 1090 sounds very extreme to me.

anyone else have best practice thoughts on the foam checking function of the CG400s?
    1-pipe Homeowner - Queens, NYC

NEW: SlantFin Intrepid TR-30 + Tankless + Riello 40-F5 @ 0.85gph | OLD: Fitzgibbons 402 boiler + Beckett "SR" Oil Gun @ 1.75gph

installed: 0-20oz/si gauge | vaporstat | hour-meter | gortons on all rads | 1pc G#2 + 1pc G#1 on each of 2 mains

Connected EDR load: 371 sf venting load: 2.95cfm vent capacity: 4.62cfm
    my NEW system pics | my OLD system pics
  • SolarGuy
    SolarGuy Member Posts: 13
    why

What caused you to remove the LWCO you had and install one without the timed shut down feature?  Thats what I have now.  The water drops done out of the sight glass when boiling and the LWCO does not shut down the boiler, so I suspect foaming. I have cleaned the boiler several times, but it still does it.

Thanks.
  • jpf321
    jpf321 Member Posts: 1,568
    NO Teflon!

I hear there should be NO TEFLON TAPE on the probe threads .. the tape could interfere with the contact needed between probe and casting. 
    1-pipe Homeowner - Queens, NYC

NEW: SlantFin Intrepid TR-30 + Tankless + Riello 40-F5 @ 0.85gph | OLD: Fitzgibbons 402 boiler + Beckett "SR" Oil Gun @ 1.75gph

installed: 0-20oz/si gauge | vaporstat | hour-meter | gortons on all rads | 1pc G#2 + 1pc G#1 on each of 2 mains

Connected EDR load: 371 sf venting load: 2.95cfm vent capacity: 4.62cfm
    my NEW system pics | my OLD system pics
  • SolarGuy
    SolarGuy Member Posts: 13
    new boiler

I should have said this is a brand new boiler installation. Piping was existing, but everything else is new. The factory installed the LWCO.  It takes about 20 min to produce enough steam for heat, but after about the 10 the water level starts to bounce and slowly drops down below the sight glass.  There is a time delay on the LWCO (according to the tech at Hydrolevel) the delays the auto feed from adding water right away.  I have not timed how long it takes for the condensate to return.  I am away for Xmas but when I return next week can post a pic.

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.