Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

buderus g115 ws baffles

jeffb
jeffb Member Posts: 6
I recently had a buderus g115-ws installed. There were signs of condensation in the chimney, so the installer removed the last baffle (mustache). The other 2 baffles had been removed before the install b/c I didn't have a SS liner. Now my options are to run it without any baffles, or I could line the chimney and run it with all 3 baffles. Does anyone have an estimate of the difference in efficiency between the 2 options? Regardless of efficiency I am leaning towards just lining the chimney, but I was wondering if the efficiency gain would cover the cost of the liner. Thanks in advance

Comments

• meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    Line the chimney.

In many states, it is required by code, that the chimney have an appropriate, approved chimney liner.  The buderus g-115 is a three pass boiler.  Which means that when it is running as designed, you will have very low flue gas temperatures.  The drawback to that is flue gas condensation.  A stainless liner is the appropriate step for this boiler.  You have a great boiler, take advantage of its capabilities by lining the chimney.

Good Luck.
  • jeffb
    jeffb Member Posts: 6
    that's the plan

Yea, I'm going to be lining the chimney. So this is basically for my own curiosity at this point. Just interested to see if anyone knows how much effect the baffles have on efficiency.
  • meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    A lot.

The lower the stack temperature, the more efficient the unit.  I don't know the exact number.  It would vary by location.

The heat that isn't going up the chimney is being transferred to the water in your system.  The fewer baffles you run, the more heat you waste up the chimney.

Good Luck
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,762
    Depends

The efficiency savings depends on the efficiency reading before and after the baffles where removed ,plus the extra system loss ...

Most likely it will pay for it self .. Figuring in the cost of fuel with future increases for the next let's say 20 years ... I am sure the liner would look like pocket change ...

Seems like a waste releasing expensive BTU's up the chimney to preventing your smoke pipe from rotting ... Removing baffles to preventing condensation leaking into your basement does not mean the combustion gases are still not condensing further up the chimney .... Take a look outside in this cold whether at he breach of the chimney ,when the burner is running ... if you see a space between the condensation and chimney then no condensation is taking place in the chimney.. If no space condensation is still taking place inside ... Most chimneys built years ago were build to handle the oversized boilers from the past .... Look at the difference in size from your old boilers smoke pipe to your new Buderus's 5" smoke pipe...
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
This discussion has been closed.