Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heat Loss Program

Ironman
Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
Any of you guys know of a simple and cheap heat loss program that I could recommend to a home owner who wants to do their own calc.? Their house is so cut up  that it would literally take may a day to measure up everything and another day to run all the numbers. I'm swamped right now and don't have that kind of time.

Preferably a program that you plug the numbers into instead of trying to draw the layout with a mouse like Wrightsoft does.

Thanks
Bob Boan
You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.

Comments

• Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Heat Loss Program

Hi- You might want to take a look at this program. http://www.hvaccomputer.com/

Very easy to use. The Residential version for commercial use is about $400 but they have the same version available for the homeowner at $ 49 which is useable for 2 months. There is a trial version you can download to check out the features.

- Rod
  • TJ_5
    TJ_5 Member Posts: 71
    Slant Fin Heat Loss

Heat loss explorer by Slant fin is still around but you may have to search for it
  • MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    Heat Loss

Try Siggy's Heat Load Pro, very good program,I just got it a couple of weeks ago, well worth the money,  it also has a Heating Cost Estimator along with it, check out John Siegenthaler's web site, www.hydronicpros.com
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Try Siggy's Heat Load Pro

I have the free version of this that comes with his book. It is enough to tease me and to convince me that if I were to do this kind of thing on a regular basis (I am not a professional, so I could not quite justify the cost), I would want the commercial (professional?) version of the software. The free version handles only two rooms on each of two zones, and you cannot save your work. It gives you a good idea of what the software can do, though.

I think the book alone is well worth the money, so for me, the educational version is free.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    a form or Excel sheet

can be found here. If you want a hand calc sheet. Thanks to the Pikes Peak, Colorado Building Dept

www.pprbd.org/plancheck/heat_loss.html
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • timbus
    timbus Member Posts: 3
    heat loss

Try  WarmBoard thru Rehau, Radwiz thru Vega, Burnham and Taco offer it as well, all free....  You do have to draw pictures w/ Taco FlowPro. 
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Heat Loss Programs:

The Slant Fin program is great. I've used it for years. I'm sorry it isn't available anymore.

I used the IBR/Hydronics Institute system for years and years and always wanted to find a program that was based on IBR. Every one I tried was for AC or warm air. The S/F program is actually the IBR method. I have it on my laptop and I can go through a house quickly. I've never found anything as easy to use.

But, that's me. 
  • jpf321
    jpf321 Member Posts: 1,568
    i posted links to...

both Taco FloPro and SlantFin Heatloss Explorer here:

http://www.heatinghelp.com/forum-thread/131667/Help

the SlantFin program is still available .. personally, I prefer Taco's FloPro
    1-pipe Homeowner - Queens, NYC

NEW: SlantFin Intrepid TR-30 + Tankless + Riello 40-F5 @ 0.85gph | OLD: Fitzgibbons 402 boiler + Beckett "SR" Oil Gun @ 1.75gph

installed: 0-20oz/si gauge | vaporstat | hour-meter | gortons on all rads | 1pc G#2 + 1pc G#1 on each of 2 mains

Connected EDR load: 371 sf venting load: 2.95cfm vent capacity: 4.62cfm
    my NEW system pics | my OLD system pics
This discussion has been closed.