Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Run a Heat Pump Fan all the time?

In the summer, I set my Unico's A/C's FAN to On so that it constantly runs and provides a nice, even temperature in my house.

Now that I've switched it over to the heating, can I do the same thing and run the fan 24/7 as well just like I did for cooling?

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Sure

Why not? Your electric bill may be slightly higher depending on the type of blower motor you have.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Hi Brad?

There are t-stats that have the option of running the fan at timed intervals, you select.  I understand what you doing, but at what cost?  I give my customers the scenario of,...."fan on is nice when you have 30 people in your house at  Thanksgiving, so it's not so stuffy. 

Mike T.
  • Eugene_Silberstein
    Eugene_Silberstein Member Posts: 349
    Constant Fan

As Dan always says, the answer is, "It depends". I personally have not turned my blowers off in the 4 years that I have been in my house. Why? I have pets and a chronic asthmatic in the house and I like the added level of filtration.

Typically, the fan is set to the ON position in the cooling mode, since moving air is cooler than stagnant air. In the heating mode, the fan is typically set to the AUTO position for the same reason.

The bottom line is this... You need to do whatever suits your needs and wants.
    Eugene
  • brad_23
    brad_23 Member Posts: 9
    Cool

Ok, I was expecting this to be the case. Now does it matter if my unit exists in an uninsulated attic area? It gets pretty frigid in there come winter.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Insulate before you circulate...

otherwise your utility bill is going to probably increase due to losses. Insulation has a high rate of return on the investment,

Insulate before you insolate too!!

Insulation EVERYWHERE :-) Lots of it with isolated mass. Pure comfort...

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • brad_23
    brad_23 Member Posts: 9
    Sorry

The house is insulated and in the attic there is insulation on the floor; so while the house itself can be temperture controlled, the attic is not. I should also add that I have a steam boiler so the heat pump is only used above 40 degrees.

So I had the idea to, when the boiler is running, run only the heat pump's fan (the heat pump has a safety and won't run the compressor under 40). I just wanted to make sure that only running the unit's fan even in frigid temps was ok and wouldn't somehow cause significant wear or damage to the motor n
This discussion has been closed.