Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Baxi 1.33 Modulo or Navien CR-240

crprz03
crprz03 Member Posts: 2
I came across this site while doing some research on the Navien CR-240 combi unit and Baxi 1.33 Modulo unit. Iam looking to have one of these systems installed at my house in CT to replace my old system but I cant seem to get a straight story from the different contractors that have quoted me for the job. I have 2 contractors telling me that the Navien unit will work perfect for heating the home and providing hot water and another contractor tells me that my 3,000 square foot home (3 heating zones) is to big and Navien does not recommend this unit for any home over 2,000 square feet for space heating. This same contractor recommended the Baxi 1.33 Modulo unit for space heating instead of the Navien. Any assistance that you guys can provide to clear this up for me would be greatly appreciated, both systems were basically quoted at around the same price of 8K. If you dont mind can someone please share with me what your opinion of the Baxi system is and the Navien. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    The Ultimate Answer

The contractor who did a heat loss of your home is correct. No Heat loss they both are wrong. A Navien is also not rated as a boiler it is a water heater.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • crprz03
    crprz03 Member Posts: 2
    Baxi 1.33 Modulo or Navien CR-240

Thanks Chris. Do you have any previous experience with any of these systems? Is it fare to assume that after the heat loss calculations are reviwed the Navien system could provide adequate heating and hot water to the home? Iam new to all of this but Iam getting a new appreciation for all this stuff.

Thanks again
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Domestic

Here's the math to figure how many btu's you need for domestic

GPM x Temp Rise (70) x 500 = Btu Required

Your in Ct so 70 Degree Rise is what you want to use.

Let's say 2 showers at a time and nothing else = 5gpm

5 x 70 x 500 = 175,000 btu's

That Baxi is out it's only 126,000 and your at the edge of the Navien. Hope no whirlpool in the home.

The best advice I can give you is heatloss first, find a mod/con boiler and an indirect hot water heater.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • Viessmannrep
    Viessmannrep Member Posts: 1
    Baxi 1.33 Modulo or Navien CR-240 answer

Also have a look at the following this would be a much better choice.

http://www.viessmann.ca/en/Residential/Products/gas/Vitodens_222.html
  • Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,405
    Navien unit

Can do up to 120,000 btu for heating. You really need to see what your heat load is of the house. Don't forget about having the outdoor reset.
  • gennady
    gennady Member Posts: 839
    Baxi

Out of these 2 baxi is a winner. Modulo with tank is a very good boiler. Gianoni hx is a minus thou. But navien.? No way.
  • HDE_2
    HDE_2 Member Posts: 140
    Almost a 4 year old post

I'm betting the decision has been made
  • gennady
    gennady Member Posts: 839
    Another old tread

NT
  • HDE_2
    HDE_2 Member Posts: 140
    The new Viessmann rep burped it up

He's new he just joined