Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

unwanted heat

wf
wf Member Posts: 6
Quick explanation:  we have an oil fired system which produces steam to heat the house and also heats our hot water which goes into a holding tank.

Problem:  during the summer when there is demand for hot water, the furnace? boiler? fires up to heat up water.  Steam is produced as well and this starts it's way up into the house.  Our basement is uncomfortably hot in the summer because the steam pipes have steam in them.  I have 8 radiators with Vent-Rite # 1's and have turned them all to their most closed position.

Question:  Is there any way to stop the steam from being created or from traveling up and out of the furnace/boiler?

Comments

• Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,199
    edited August 2010
    Low Limit Control

The boiler should have a "Low Limit" water temperature control somewhere on it, with a setting that is adjustable. 

This control runs the boiler to the preset temperature.  That control's dial is adjusted to maintain a sufficient water temperature to heat your domestic hot water. 

When the thermostat calls for heat, the boiler's water temperature is increased further, with the thermostat overriding the Low Limit.  Then the boiler makes steam. 

The low limit control should have an adjustment so you can reduce the domestic water temperature.  If it is set too high or is defective, you'll produce steam.  If you turn it down, you should solve your problem. 

The question that must be asked is why it was set so high in the first place. 

Often the heat exchanger's coils are partially clogged or covered with an corrosion that prevents efficient heat transfer to your domestic water.  This would cause someone to raise the boiler water temperature in an attempt to get sufficient hot water.  And it will raise your fuel bill.

The Low Limit can also be defective or improperly installed.  

Have the qualified guy who maintains this system look over this thing to determine if there are underlying problems.  You're burning more fuel than you need be, and the cost of a professional would be saved quickly in fuel savings. 
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    Often times the aquastat does not prevent vapor forming.

I have had to turn poorly placed aquastats as much as 20 degrees lower than target temp to keep them from sending steam up the header. The aquastat should ideally be located in the rear section of power burner equipped boilers. This section tends to get the warmest fastest,
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • wf
    edited August 2010
    more information

Read a lot yesterday about "high", "Low" and "Differential".  I understand the basic principals of these settings.  Now I just need a little help with my specific set up.

My boiler has an aquastat on it with one temp dial and a differential dial.  These are set at 170 and 5.

My water tank has a thermostat set at 135 no differential control and I have tap water around 127.

Is the aquastat my "high" and the thermostat my "low"?

Any thoughts on these settings in relation to my original question.  How do I stop the boiler from creating steam in the summer?

I've attached a jpeg of my system cause a picture is worth a thousand words.
  • Tana
    Tana Member Posts: 1
    scald control settings

Hi- we have a Peerless EC-06 oil-fired boiler. In the summer it only supplies hot water for showers, etc. A Honeywell control monitors the Hi and Lo settings (currently 170° and 145°) for hot water supply. Differential is set at 15. Can anybody give ballpark numbers of settings that would save the most energy during the summer without causing problems with the boiler?

Thank you,
  • wf
    Please don't hijack my thread

To Tana:

Please don't hijack my thread with another question.  I am trying to get some specific help and want to keep everyone on ONE topic.

If you are looking for information on a problem you are having it would be best to post a NEW thread in the proper category.

Thanks.
  • wf
    edited August 2010
    back to the original subject

Read a lot yesterday about "high", "Low" and "Differential".  I

understand the basic principals of these settings.  Now I just need a

little help with my specific set up.

My boiler has an aquastat on it with one temp dial and a differential dial.  These are set at 170 and 5.

My water tank has a thermostat set at 135 no differential control and I have tap water around 127.

Is the aquastat my "high" and the thermostat my "low"?

Any thoughts on these settings in relation to my original question.  How do I stop the boiler from creating steam in the summer?

I've attached a jpeg of my system cause a picture is worth a thousand words.
  • Clem
    Clem Member Posts: 1
    Pay attention

They answered your question.

Posting the same thing over and over isn't going to help you

Pay attention or hire someone to go over your horribly piped system.
  • wf
    just asking for a little help

Not asking anyone to go out of their way to help out.

My first question was answered now I need a little help identifying parts.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    judging by the pics

I think you boiler has bigger issues than a bit of steam coming up. You can try raising the water level for the summer. Both items are aquastats the one on the tank should turn the pump on and off and the one on the boiler should fire the burner, I say should as I am only guessing they are wired correctly.. also the functionality of the pump needs to be confirmed. As far as hijacking threads we can handle that and often times do it as regular contributers to the Wall. No worries WJ we can multi task.

Tana where you have it may be as low as you can go as you need the boiler warm enough to heat the water as it goes through the boiler. you can try a lower high limit but you may loose capacity in hot water, You did not say if you had steam or hot water but I am assuming it is hot water by the settings you quoted.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
This discussion has been closed.