Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

80%+ vent terminations in cupolas

bob young
bob young Member Posts: 2,177
WHAT does manufacturer recommend

Comments

• Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040

So I have a water heater & Furnace both 80% condensers with fan assist. Each terminates into a different cupola. The water heater has a steady stream of clear water come back down from the chase when it runs and the furnace has the classic green oxidized water streaming back.(copper cupolas) Should these terminate outside and not into the cupolas? WH is run in ABS and the furn in sch 40.

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • don_205
    don_205 Member Posts: 66
    What is

What is a cupola? TIA.
  • Timco

MFG says in manual to terminate outside, no mention of cupola. I will have to call. Cupola is a box on the roof to hide pipe terminations. These are copper...

Tim
  • lee_7
    lee_7 Member Posts: 458

Think old barn, the thinga t the top. Usually had weather vane mounted to it.
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    termination point

i think you might have answered your own question, Tim. if the air is restricted **** happens----sometimes lol what say tim mcelwyn, the gas expert.

• I'm picturing an enclosed copper copula, capped with openings or louvers on the sides. It sounds as though the warm/moist "exhaust" is hitting and condensing on the inside of cold copper and then dripping/running back down.

Possible "cures" -

1.A drip pan like they have under air conditioning condenser coils and pipe the condensate away.While it could be made to work I don't see this as practical. A lot of work plus it's very likely to freeze/plug in winter.

2. Insulate the inside of the copula so the warm exhaust would escape before condensing. (Might work?)

3. Run the exhaust piping out the side of the copula. (Pick the pitch less visible. (Also think prevailing wind direction -I'd also insulate the exhaust where is runs through the cupola.) Probably #3 has the best chance of working. I'd discuss it with the manufacturer and see what they suggest /recommend.

It looks like one of those jobs you want to walk away from.
    If you can fix it, you're a hero. If it doesn't work (and the odds favor this) you get all the wrath /frustration of the owner who wanted the "cute cupolas" and NOW thinks it's your fault they don't work.

Is running a "normal" exhaust installation not viable?

- Rod
  • Timco

Thanks for the ideas. #3 is my plan, and Wednesday I will measure runs & count 90's then call mfg. I like being the hero so I will take this on...

Tim
This discussion has been closed.