Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Can anyone tell me

Eileen Olive
Eileen Olive Member Posts: 99
I am trying to find out if the federal & state (NY)tax rebate/incentive for installing Energystar boiler/indirect hot water heaters was in effect for tax year 2008. I have been told that they are in effect for 2009, but what about last year, say November & December . . . or does that carry over into 2009?

Comments

• tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Only for equipment installed and paid for after 1-1-09

• paid for after 1-1-09?

interesting.......considering that we're now filing our tax returns on the money we made and SPENT in '08
  • Eileen Olive
    What if it was purchased the end of 2008

but not installed until January 2009? The indirect tank is still in the crate in the basement. Home owner purchased boiler & tank, but hired contractor to install.
  • Then you can

take it on 2009 taxes and get a much better credit, It only counts after the unit is installed and operational.
  • Eileen Olive
    Thanks, but

So it does not mater "when" the unit was purchased, but when it was installed?
  • scrook_3
    scrook_3 Member Posts: 66
    but...

come this time next year you'll be doing your 2009 taxes... so factor it into your withholding now. Everything's got to start (or end) sometime!
  • Mech E
    Mech E Member Posts: 10

For any of the tax credits and rebates it does not matter when you purchase the equipment. The question is when the system was installed and operating. As long as the system satisfies all the requirements of the credit, you are eligible for the credit. You can go to www.dsireusa.org for more information about renewable energy credits and rebates offered by each state, or http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=products.pr_tax_credits for information regarding energystar appliance rebates.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    There

is no longer a NYS tax credit for EnergyStar boilers,it was vetoed by Gov.Spitzer in August 2007. The current federal credit is on 90%+ boilers.EnergyStar is 85%
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Paul Fredricks_9
    Paul Fredricks_9 Member Posts: 315
    What about windows

We had some new windows installed last year. I can't find tax credit info in our state (CT) or Fed. Does anyone know if there are credit available?
  • steve_196
    steve_196 Member Posts: 33

I found out that installing my windows last year, I also lost out on that tax credit. I'm in NYS so don't be completely discouraged. It may be different in your state.
This discussion has been closed.