Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Squealing/squeaking gas line

If you are using a flex product, it most likely is the result of an undersized gas line. The velocity is too high in the line causing a harmonic frequency.

It is just like that corrugated tubing that you used to spin over your head when you were a kid that sounded like a UFO landing.

Comments

• jeff_57
    jeff_57 Member Posts: 11
    squealing/squeaking gas line

I recently noticed that there was a squeaking (almost whistling) sound coming
    from my steam boiler. It's been off all summer with only the pilot light running. I shut off the natural gas line (the pilot light went out of course) but the squeaking stopped. I noticed that the sound was coming
    from the gas valve area that supplies the boiler and pilot light.

I don't smell natural gas, but could I have a small leak?

Thanks
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Jeff

try it again and check the meter. It could be the meter and traviling down the piping.

Just in case check the flame hieght and see if its accesive.

Better yet, call the gas company and have them do all of the above. If your not familiar with this stuff its not something to play with.

Scott

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"

• Same thing happened to me the steam boiler would whistle when the burner came on. We were using ward flex 1" gas line I would throttle down from the gas valve and the noise would greatly reduce. I asked customer to contact the gas company himself and request a pressure check etc. He never did and then he passed away a year later. have lost contact with the people. If you get it solved please let me know. chasnson@verizon.net
  • Jeff_121
    Jeff_121 Member Posts: 2

Thanks,

I'll call the gas company tomorrow.

• jeff_57
    jeff_57 Member Posts: 11

As best as I can tell, the sound is coming from the very small tube that
    delivers the gas to the pilot light. It's maybe only 1/16 - 1/8" in diameter.

• Jeff_121
    Jeff_121 Member Posts: 2

As a follow up...I discovered that the sound is coming directly from the pilot
    light. The flame seems a little more active or jumpy than before. Could there
    be something partially blocking the flame nozel?
  • Have a professional

gas service technicain come and take a look at it.
This discussion has been closed.