Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

A O Smith Water Heater

Jeff_17
Jeff_17 Member Posts: 99
I was told by my plumbing supplier that A. O. Smith makes a fine hot water heater...GAS....

They also said I will most likely get more than the 6 years out of it that it is warranteed for?

Any opinions as I will be purchasing this weekend....My STATE heater is past its prime. Was installed in 91 and is giving up its ghost!

Comments

• michael_15
    michael_15 Member Posts: 231
    A.O. Smith

I believe A.O. Smith only sells to contractors, so if you're a homeowner, you won't be able to find it in stores.

-Michael
  • Robert O'Connor_7
    Robert O'Connor_7 Member Posts: 688
    Jeff..

Be sure to get a permit first.

Robert O'Connor/NJ
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,273
    Brand doesn't really matter much

Each make has their advantages, but simply getting a well insulated 5 or 6 year tank and making sure you put two full length magnesium anodes in it will give you a very long lived tank. If you check those anodes every five years or so you can expect to keep the tank going quite a few decades, so long as nothing else like pressure or overhead leaks intervene.

Brand matters only in how the name is backed up. If the service is better or more reliable from one distributor than others, the choice is clear.

Yours, Larry
  • jim lockard
    jim lockard Member Posts: 1,059
    jeff

pipe the T&P relief valve to the floor
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    A.O. Smith is good.

So is Bradford White, so is Ruud, so is State, so is American MorFlo, so is .....

I agree with Larry.

Scott

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Geo_5
    Geo_5 Member Posts: 69
    water heaters

You don't sell the steak... you sell the sizzle, but I would put morflo in the quarter pounder arena.Glad there gone.
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Geo

The point is they are a commoditie. They are all pretty much the same.

I don't see any sizzle ...

There all quarter pounders.

Scott

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Jeff_17
    Jeff_17 Member Posts: 99
    why the T& P....

to the floor? I know that is how mine is now....
  • Best

Jeff, As a Home Inspector I see a lot of water heaters in a year. I have to date them and pay attention to their condition at whatever age they may be... I typically see A O Smith's long past their life expectancy... If I had a conventional water heater I would buy an AO Smith. In fact the oldest water heater I've ever seen (35 years old and still kicking) was an AO... I also agree strongly with Larry - Have your plumber put a second anode rod in it before he installs it. Make sure he pipes it with shut off valves on both sides and unions so it will be easy to disconnect and maintain. Change the anode rod every 4-5 years and keep it going for a long long time... - By the way, Larry's not flashing his credentials here - http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/TheTank.html - Not sure I agree with the buy any old yugo and put good tires on it philosophy but the maintenance factor is right on...
  • Best

Jeff, As a Home Inspector I see a lot of water heaters in a year. I have to date them and pay attention to their condition at whatever age they may be... I typically see A O Smith's long past their life expectancy... If I had a conventional water heater I would buy an AO Smith. In fact the oldest water heater I've ever seen (35 years old and still kicking) was an AO... I also agree strongly with Larry - Have your plumber put a second anode rod in it before he installs it. Make sure he pipes it with shut off valves on both sides and unions so it will be easy to disconnect and maintain. Change the anode rod every 4-5 years and keep it going for a long long time... - By the way, Larry's not flashing his credentials here - http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/TheTank.html - Not sure I agree with the buy any old yugo and put good tires on it philosophy but the maintenance factor is right on...

Good Luck
    Kyle Kubs
    Benchmark Home Inspection Services
    North NJ
  • George_10
    George_10 Member Posts: 580
    Send me an e-mail with

your mailing address and I will forward to you literature on cleaning and treating hydronic systems.

I am assuming that you see these systems in your home inspections also.

Thanks

George
This discussion has been closed.