Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What brand of PEX?

Bobononoll
Bobononoll Member Posts: 6
Viega does sell bronze fittings. They are specifically designed to prevent "dezincification". This is the loss of the zinc in the metal alloy brass fittings are made of. The zinc dissolves leaving behind a very weak matrix of copper. The fitting can leak and crack. Also there is a problem of "meringue" buildup inside fittings, blocking flow. Google "dezincification" if you want more. It is a serious problem - don't ignore it if you plan in being in business for 10+ more years. Many, many law suits of arisen from this problem.

Viega is a German company. At least some of their bronze fittings like manifolds are actually made in Germany. Regardless of where they are made, you can bank on the fact the Viega brand fittings are "the best". Being a German company, Viega undoubtedly has very good quality control on parts.

Comments

• amhplumb_2
    amhplumb_2 Member Posts: 62
    What brand of PEX?

Fellow Wallies, an old dog needs to learn a new trick! It looks as though I have a job that I will need to use PEX for the first time. In my nearly 3 decades I have only used steel or copper for my hydronic & plumbing water lines! What kind of PEX do you all use? I have been researching and so far I like the Wirsbo/Uphonor type that requires the Pro-pex expander tool. Any thoughts on this, Pros & Cons, recommendations? Further, can brands be intermingled, meaning, can brand A be connected to brand B as you would with copper tubing. Or are the fittings specific to a brand? I don't want to invest in the tools until I get some more information. With the price of copper, this will probably be a regular thing! Thanks for any information!
  • Supply House Rick
    Supply House Rick Member Posts: 1,404
    The Pex That..

You can find locally from a supplier has made a commitment to keep all the necessary tubing and fittings that you require to do your job.
    Doesn't get any easier than that.

Enjoy the weekend, Now everybody dance...

Rick
  • John Abbott
    John Abbott Member Posts: 356
    Pex

> Fellow Wallies, an old dog needs to learn a new

> trick! It looks as though I have a job that I

> will need to use PEX for the first time. In my

> nearly 3 decades I have only used steel or copper

> for my hydronic & plumbing water lines! What

> kind of PEX do you all use? I have been

> researching and so far I like the Wirsbo/Uphonor

> type that requires the Pro-pex expander tool.

> Any thoughts on this, Pros & Cons,

> recommendations? Further, can brands be

> intermingled, meaning, can brand A be connected

> to brand B as you would with copper tubing. Or

> are the fittings specific to a brand? I don't

> want to invest in the tools until I get some more

> information. With the price of copper, this will

> probably be a regular thing! Thanks for any

> information!

I have used wirsbo for domestic, fin tube and radiant for ten years now.The expansion system is absolutely the best as close to bullet proof as you can get.

John
  • John Abbott
    John Abbott Member Posts: 356
    Pex

> Fellow Wallies, an old dog needs to learn a new

> trick! It looks as though I have a job that I

> will need to use PEX for the first time. In my

> nearly 3 decades I have only used steel or copper

> for my hydronic & plumbing water lines! What

> kind of PEX do you all use? I have been

> researching and so far I like the Wirsbo/Uphonor

> type that requires the Pro-pex expander tool.

> Any thoughts on this, Pros & Cons,

> recommendations? Further, can brands be

> intermingled, meaning, can brand A be connected

> to brand B as you would with copper tubing. Or

> are the fittings specific to a brand? I don't

> want to invest in the tools until I get some more

> information. With the price of copper, this will

> probably be a regular thing! Thanks for any

> information!

I have used wirsbo for domestic, fin tube and radiant for ten years now.The expansion system is absolutely the best as close to bullet proof as you can get.

John
  • Jed_2
    Jed_2 Member Posts: 781
    Generic Fluff

yes, find a supplier that supports the pex line. But, for hydronic systems Fostapex (Viega) or PXA (pex-aluminum-pex, Kitec), or equivalent, is the only way to go.

You never know when a boiler will overide on temp,so a little extra strength will go a long way.

Jed
  • Supply House Rick
    Supply House Rick Member Posts: 1,404
    Intelligent Response for Jed

Hypothetical situation. say those lines aren't available in his area. In your copious free time would you care to give him a ride to where he can buy YOUR favorite brand of pex. I know I hang on your every word to find out what your favorite brands are.

Once again, just for you Jed.

***Find a pex you can find locally from a supplier has made a commitment to keep all the necessary tubing and fittings that you require to do your job. Doesn't get any easier than that*** In the the words of Mencia "dee dee dee" or the words of Ingvall "here's your sign"

Jed, have a generic fluff weekend...
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    Barrier pex, of course

for any heating and cooling applications.

Some brands apply an additional layer over the external EVOH O2 barrier. This adds an additional protectiuve layer, but also eliminates the squeak from pex aginst pex or framing.

I prefer the composites with the aluminum layer. Less expansion and contraction, they stay straight and hold bends better also.

Keep in mind most all manufactures now offer 20 foot straight lengths. These work much better for piping manifold runs, etc., especially in larger diameters (5/8 and up).

I think the Viega FostaPex has a bit of an edge in the composites. It is a full bore and OD pex with the aluminum wrap outside the pex tube. Also a protective layer over the aluminum. I prefer this to the tube with the aluminum layered in the wall, as we have seen some "blistering" posted here in the laminated tubes. FostaPes is more crush resistent also.

The Viega system also has a very nice looking, durable, and easy to use stainless steel crimp fitting system.

If the tube and fittings have the same listing and standard's numbers, yes they will interchange. Most manufactures prefer you use their brand of fitting, and connection with their tube.

I don't believe many pex manufactures actually make their own fittings. Seems most, if not all brass fittings are built in China to the manufactures spec.

Custom manifolds are built by Watts Radiant here in Springfield for many brands. PHP and Alberta T-Drill as well as Sioux Chief build manifolds and fittings for many of the pex companys.

Find a brand with good dealers and rep support.

You should be able to get pex delivered to your door from ANY brand within 3- 4 working days. Very little is stocked in my area and I get it shipped in on a regular basis.

Viega predicts a 24 hour turn around, on orders when their new plant in Kansas is up and running.

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Jed_2
    Hypothetical re-direct

Don't think I asked a question, Rick. "Here's your sign".

Last check (and probably not exhaustive), Pex-A-Pex is available from:

(in no certain order of bias)
    1. Weil-McLain
    2. Watts
    3. Kitec
    4. Viega
    5. Mr. Pex (SafeLink)
    6. Uponor
    7. Excel (Flex ALPEX) (Excell On Line Store)
    8. Allied Pipe Systems

The OP did mention "Wirsbo/Uponor". My "favorite brand of pex" is irrelavent and inconsequential to/of the question.

I was merely pointing out a valid, pointed, consideration for tubing application. Just the facts, man, just the facts. Hypothesis is for another discussion.

But, to hypothesize; If his local Uponor Supplier hasn't made the neccesary commitment to "Pex-A-Pex", and he has decided to further investigate the PAP route, maybe it's time for an "awakening" on the Supplier(s)'s part, or , I guess, settle for 2nd best.

As for Mencia: He can stay in the "Hood".

• Jed_2
    Hypothetical re-direct

Don't think I asked a question, Rick. "Here's your sign".

Last check (and probably not exhaustive), Pex-A-Pex is available from:

(in no certain order of bias)
    1. Weil-McLain
    2. Watts
    3. Kitec
    4. Viega
    5. Mr. Pex (SafeLink)
    6. Uponor
    7. Excel (Flex ALPEX) (Excell On Line Store)
    8. Allied Pipe Systems

The OP did mention "Wirsbo/Uponor". My "favorite brand of pex" is irrelavent and inconsequential to/of the question.

I was merely pointing out a valid, pointed, consideration for tubing application. Just the facts, man, just the facts. Hypothesis is for another discussion.

But, to hypothesize; If his local Uponor Supplier hasn't made the neccesary commitment to "Pex-A-Pex", and he has decided to further investigate the PAP route, maybe it's time for an "awakening" on the Supplier(s)'s part, or , I guess, settle for 2nd best.

As for Mencia: He can stay in the "Hood".

My generic fluff weekend is fully intact. But you're more than welcome to fold! Oh! and, Uh, Who let the dogs out?

p.s. I wasn't trying to "dis" you.

Jed
  • Tom Hopkins
    Tom Hopkins Member Posts: 552
    I

prefer Fosta-Pex, primarily because I feel the Viega system makes the most professional looking joints. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Jed_2
    Fittings

Hot rod, I do believe Viega is making their own "bronze" fittings for Fostapex now, and are the only one's they approve for Fostapex. ViegaPex does not require bronze fittings.

Jed
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Copper crimp fittings don't de-zinc

ify :). And they don't crack, split, or hairline if overcrimped or crimped crooked. Thin brass and bronze fittings are fairly brittle.

Although I'm not sure the after market barbed copper fittings meet the manufacturers spec?

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Rich Kontny_4
    Rich Kontny_4 Member Posts: 73
    Mix and Match

If you do mix and match fittings and pipe you run the risk of voiding warranties.Also stocking different makes gets confusing.

I have used Uponor/Wirsbo for over ten years,have their expanding tools and like their product support.Supply House Rick is correct about having a ready source with an adequate stock and product support.

I like the twenty year warranty as a selling point and the expanded fitting system versus the crimped systems. Uponor has had straight lengths for at least ten years and has oxygen barrier piping.

Other systems have comparable products I am sure.
  • Bobononoll
    can't overcrimp Viega fittings when using Viega tool

At least for sizes 3/8 - 1" Viega sell special crimping tools that automatically stop when the appropriate pressure is reached. No checking with gauges or eyeballing. Viega also sell special stainless steel sleeves that go with said tools. The sleeves are much longer than rings; it would be hard to put them on incorrectly. It's a pretty bullet-proof solution, but *way* more expensive initially for the tooling. A complete set of 3/8 - 1" is about $1300 vs. $40 - $150 or so for more typical crimping equipment.
  • Ted_5
    Ted_5 Member Posts: 272
    HeatLink PEXa

Take a look at HeatLink PEXa pipe. It feels more flexible then other ones. After extrusion they cool it straight before coiling it, so it's memory wants it to naturally straighten out. Their plumbing PEXa is the same and is called PureLink. Also check out their EasyFit system, no tools needed. Works great for home run systems or a modified with small inline manifolds on the run. Very fast to install. It is a high impact plastic and comes in 2 or 3 port tees. Why use PEX and then copper or brass fittings? One of the advantages of PEX is less corrosion potential, the system is only as good as it's weakest point.
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    I've used copper

crimp fittings from Sioiux Chief, Alberta T-Drill and a few others for over 20 years now. Many of the pex ball valves come with copper barbed adapters also. Still haven't seen a leaker, even on glycoled systems. I've used about every brand of tube known, and some that are no longer around with these fittings.

BUT, you are correct in suggesting one stick with the components sold by the manufactures for warranty issues.

I'd agree that deep stainless crimp ring and extra long barbed fitting Viega offers is about the best out there currently. I really like the ratcheting crimpers they sell for the larger sizes. Fits in tight quarters and very easy on the hands.

hot rod

• Bobononoll
    Have to check out copper

Very interesting. Thanks for the info. In my area at least, brass is all I've seen. I will have to look into copper fittings.
  • Bobononoll
    Plastic creeps

I'm not a fan plastic barb/crimp fittings, especially for hot water. Pretty much all plastic will creep over time, at least a little. As temperature goes, creep potential increases. The tolerances in a crimp fitting are pretty tight. If the plastic barbs smash down even a little, the potential for leaks goes up. In my area line pressures are also high.

There are metal and graphite reinforced plastics that are more dimensionally stable but I've never seen fittings made of this stuff. I suspect this is the reason Viega doesn't use plastic. German companies are generally conservative - its both good and bad. Viega did buy Vanguard which I think does have plastic fittings. It will be interesting to see if Viega adopts Vanguard's approach.

I also use pex-al-pex (Viega's fostapex) so memory isn't an issue for me. It would be nice to have the flexibility, but I'm willng to trade off flexibility for the aluminum layer. Personal choice thing.
This discussion has been closed.