Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

what's in your basement?

John Mills_5
John Mills_5 Member Posts: 950
Not too many around here. In my GARAGE <g> is a Trane XV80 and outside is an old WeatherKing 13 SEER heat pump. A Vision Pro IAQ controls both and features dehumidify on demand with the variable speed blower. Honeywell Pop Up media in the old EAC cabinet. Lochinvar 50 gallon gas WH.

Comments

• rjm
    rjm Member Posts: 60
    whats in your basement?

I have a 5yr old GO-4 w/tankless I'm going to be installing a tekmar 260 w/ a 40gallon indirect this summer.
  • jonathan (j.h.)
    jonathan (j.h.) Member Posts: 1
    buderus

We have a brand new buderus ga-244 with tekmar 256 serving 2 thermostat controlled zones with all cast iron rads in the apt
    bldg. our home has nasty forced air.

Jonathan
  • R Mannino
    R Mannino Member Posts: 440
    No Basement----Slab

A 6 month old Buderus G115/21 with the 2107 control on top of a LT 160 indirect.

Ron
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    lurking in the basement

7 month old peerless 211-a 1,050,000 btu feeding one pipe steam system [60 rads] which was originally installed in 1885 and enlarged in 1921.still have the original American Radiator Co coal-fired boiler [cracked in 1953 and replaced with earlier american standard gas ]
    i remember the janitor opening the ash door and shoveling out the cinders and the wheelbarrowing them still smoking up the basement steps.
    now working better than i ever remember thanks to information received here--even heat--and now gas consumption reduced about 10-12%--nbc
  • Frenchie
    Frenchie Member Posts: 113
    Creepy old basement

2 year old Crown Tobago wet base CI pin boiler firing .75
    GPH #2 oil. hot water baseboard. Separate 40 gallon natural gas hot water tank. All in an old stone basement farmhouse. only burn about 600 gallons/year.
  • Steve_147
    Steve_147 Member Posts: 14
    Viessmann

Vitodens 100 w/single zone of baseboard,and 40 gal. indirect. Solar thermal comming soon!!
    Steve
  • bill nye_3
    bill nye_3 Member Posts: 307
    My basement

I have an 18 year old Viessmann Vitola with a Riello F-3. It has a Trimatik control and a Viessmann indirect. I have aluminum radiant panel baseboard , some staple up radiant floor, and Hydro-air [mostly for the A/C] The boiler was built in 1990 but never installed until 2000. I got a very, very, very, good deal on it.

I think I will have to start using the wood burning stove because of the price of oil.
  • steveex
    steveex Member Posts: 95

My office in basement, first my dell xps 4 gig dual 27 inch ultra sharp monitors, my 60 inch sony sxrd flat screen. Thanks to keyspan, boiler for free, Burnham 232,000 btu hot water boiler feeding one zone radiant in base controled by tekmar 512 tstat, no temp swings of course. floors 1,2 and 3 sunrads. AC done by 60 foot well with 60 degree water into coil in duct work. Some days just dont want to leave it. P.S. did i mention the bar.
  • kpc_18
    kpc_18 Member Posts: 9
    had an octopus....

fha theremopride ripped it out 4 yrs ago. Installed a Buderus 115-21 w/ riello burner,dhw 60 gallon SSU, w/ sparco mixer. Controlled w/ a Tekmar 260 and a Taco sr502. Radiation is buderus panel rads piped home run style to manifolds w/ wirsbo tubing.
  • A window....

along with an MC50 boiler from Munchkin...

I LIKE the window better than the Munchy :-)

ME
  • JackR
    JackR Member Posts: 125
    Steam

I have a nice new Burnham Megasteam MST 396 with a Alliance SL Indirect. We installed it the beginning of the season and changed all the vents. Wow, what a difference in comfort and more importantly these days, the fuel bill.

Replaced and old Peerless JOT with a tankless.
  • Jon Held
    Jon Held Member Posts: 48

I have a 1 year old WM SGO3 steamer w/tankless coil that is now running at optimum efficiency thanks to all the help I received in person from Alex (WireNut), the books I read from Dan, and all the folks willing to help me on this board. Finally got around to installing my Vaporstat (12oz cut off/4oz cut in) and I feel like it's just about perfect.
    It's still too new for me to have any real data on oil useage, but I'm certain I'm squeezing evey last BTU out of the system.

Big THANKS to all.
  • Home Depot Employee
    Home Depot Employee Member Posts: 329

Basement? I remember having a furnished basement once.

Not now, no basements in the south! I have a lot of attics though.
  • Jim Hilpipre
    Jim Hilpipre Member Posts: 19
    My basement

has a Lennox "Completeheat" servicing domestic water, (2) standard PSC blower modules (one for a (2) zone system between main and basment level and one mounted in attic of my garage).

I have a (5) zone radiant distribution system servicing the "hard surface" areas with "QuikTrak" that is controlled by twisting the red and white wires together until it gets too hot and then simply disconnect! (Wife absolutely loves this!) I have gotten away with it for 7 years now!

See you guys at Wetstock!

Jim Hilpipre
  • R Mannino
    R Mannino Member Posts: 440
    Wood Stove

I got the wood stove first and never stopped using it.

Ron
  • UniR_3
    UniR_3 Member Posts: 22
    Prestige Solo / Smart 50

I have a Prestige Solo 110 and a Smart 50. It's a 2 zone system. The main zone is 1¼" monoflo/fintube and a RFH zone was added for the kitchen (baths are next) using ½" XPA and Wirsbo plates.

The system is piped primary secondary but also has a P/S bypass so that the monoflo and RFH can both run together as one zone using just the boiler's internal circ and that's how it runs over 95% of the time (since that way all in it uses less than 100 watts total for heating).

The system also diverts one third of the boiler return flow through a 46 gallon buffer tank. The buffer is just there to help lower the overall average return temps because the monoflo has such a low ΔT. The added BTUs are spread over many more gallons allowing lower return temps that increase efficiency.
  • Rob Blair
    Rob Blair Member Posts: 227
    Tell me about the water to cool

That sounds interesting.

Anyone else has used this idea?

Rob
  • Terry Trommeshauser
    Terry Trommeshauser Member Posts: 34
    my basement

I have a Lennox "WHISPER HEAT" furnace that makes more noise than my old band did!
    1st two months in the house and we thought we had a ghost that liked to slam doors.. turned out it is the furnace.

makes me wonder why they called it "whisper heat" - maybe for the velocity of air I get out of it.. a mere whisper.

on the other end of the basement I have a full digital recording studio.

• wopotoket
    wopotoket Member Posts: 7
    in my cellar....

A Biasi B14/Riello F3 with a 40-gallon indirect. Also running a Tekmar 260 with the indoor and outdoor sensors with full ODR. No gas in this area, not that I would go to it.

Pete
  • robinStoryja
    robinStoryja Member Posts: 7

I have one of the original Munchkin prototypes (80M) powering: 2 Hi-V systems, Runtal wall panels in the office, Runtal Towel bars in the baths, Runtal coat warmer in the hall, heating the hot tub on the porch and SSU45 DHW heater. It’s a 3,600 sq. /ft. one hundred year old colonial house in NH.
    I have been asked many times; “have you ever had any problems with it?” My response is always: “of course I have, it was given to me as a test boiler, with the sole purpose to use it and abuse it in a real life situation”. This boiler has been put through hell; it’s gone through six up-grades on the controls, blowers and piping configuration changes. It’s last up-grade came last fall with the distribution being changed to a primary/secondary piping arrangement. Would I trade it? In a hart beat, I love the new Munchkin Contenders that we have been installing. However, this little work horse is still running strong and being ole Yankee that I am, I expect to see at least 10 more years with it.
    My other boilers (2) are in the Carriage house out back, they are the new Biasi Riva Combi, wall hung units. They supply both heat to Hi-V systems and DHW to each apartment. Again, these are also test boilers and yes, they have has had issues, but only minor ones which have been corrected on the new models.
  • Adam_13
    Adam_13 Member Posts: 49
    For some contrast...

The pictures speak for themselves. 92 years and counting. Obviously not the model of efficiency, but it steams very well for it's age. I have two of 'em. Wouldn't trade them for anything. Hope to someday find grates and put them back to coal when gas goes out of sight (with modern safeties of course).
  • Adam_13
    For some contrast...

The pictures speak for themselves. 92 years and counting. Obviously not the model of efficiency, but it steams very well for it's age. I have two of 'em. Wouldn't trade them for anything. Hope to someday find grates and put them back to coal when gas goes out of sight (with modern safeties of course).
  • Adam_13
    For some contrast...

• Adam_13
    For some contrast...

• Adam_13

This discussion has been closed.