Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Use of Stay Brite #8 for small a/c systems

Thanks eveyone for your opinion. Yes, when I use it I use very minimal flux. It is nice when you have to change out a TXV or filter drier. I would not use it on 410A beacuse of the higher operating pressures also. We use a nitrogen purge, and brazing with Sil-phos on all of our larger installs, and of course when we do medical gas Thanks again!

Ross

Comments

• Ross_7
    Ross_7 Member Posts: 577
    Stay Brite #8 or Sil-Phos?

Professor Gene,

Can you settle a friendly argument? There has been an on going discussion about the use of Stay-Brite# 8 on small refrigeration and a/c systems. J.W.Harris doesn't seem to have problem with it. I say it's O.K. on smaller a/c systems using R-22, or other A1 refrigerants? I've never nor would I use it on larger tonnage systems, or any other classifications of refrigerants, per the mechanical code. What do you think? Thanks very much!

Ross
  • don_182
    don_182 Member Posts: 69
    The Professor

is spending time with Mickey and crew.

So I 'll give you my opinion.You are correct it can be use on the system you speak of.

However.. every time I come across one that has been done and I have to replace the drier are make a repair I find myself damning the guy before me that used it.

I would think also that there my be a issue of the melting
    point in case of a fire.
    Freon and flame sure make it hard to get a breath of air when needed.

And to give straybrite some credit it sure helps to keep oxadation.. spell check please..down when making a repaiir or when installing a system.So in that case, it has its good point too.
  • jim lockard
    jim lockard Member Posts: 1,059
    We have

Used Stay Brite since 1973 with very good success J.W. Harris will tell you that it has a tensile strengh of +/- 10,000 psi. My main reason for using Stay Brite is that you do not "Burn" and warp the valves you can get inside a machine and do a repair including change the filter drier or TXV without heat damage. As for high temp silver brazing I do not agree that hotter is better. Silfose maybe quicker because you for the most part can braze dirty pipe, "Just burn it red and roll it in". I will agree that both Stay Brite and High temp silver brazing have their place in this business. Best Wishes J.Lockard
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    StayBrite

I also have been using StayBrite #8 for many years with great success.But now, with R410a and POE and PVE oils it is improper pratice to use StayBrite ,NOT because of the solder but because of the flux getting inside the system and reaking havoc on the compressor thru some chemical reaction.
  • jim lockard
    jim lockard Member Posts: 1,059
    Zinc cloride

Had not hear that before. I usally insert the pipe in the socket 1/2 way then lighty flux. J.Lockard
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    StayBrite

Hi Jim!Carrier and Daikin both say the same thing,brazing with a nitrogen purge is their required way of connecting the tubing.Using only minimal flux is the only way to solder and how about cleaning the oxidation and debris off of the solder every time the solder is used.Enjoy!
  • Ken D.
    Ken D. Member Posts: 836
    Sta Brite

I have used it for 25 years and have not had problems. I don't always use it, but many times the application allows it. I especially like it when joining a component that can be damaged by excessive heat, such as TXVs or in an enclosed area where a large brazing flame will be hazardous. I do not use it where vibration is a problem. The U.S. Air Force accepts it's use. It is strong stuff.
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    I love it but never use it

Granted... It is a great product...
    I, however, never use it and, to top it off, low temperature filler materials for use on air conditioning systems are becoming illegal in many areas. The reason for this is that, in the event of a fire, joints made with a low temperature filler material may give way under the high pressures contained in the systems. This may endanger the lives of firemen that may find themselves in a burning building. As we know, a dangerous situation is created when the chlorine and fluorine in our refrigerants are burned.

So, as for me, I will stick to my high temperature filler materials...

Speaking of which, how many of you guys have used BLOCKADE and, if so, what do you think of it? I LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!
  • Ken D.
    Ken D. Member Posts: 836
    Prof. S.

Makes sense. The local municpalities do not have a ban as of yet. I usually use 15% and sometimes 45% brazing rod. It depends on the application and circumstances. As far as Blockade, I assume you mean that heat sink paste. I have used similar, but prefer a regular wet rag.
  • RadPro
    RadPro Member Posts: 90
    Blockade Used no More!

You bet I used it and never again. For plumbing maybe someone uses it. I used it on 2"Suction line for refrigeration case, only 3 joints, but all leaked.

And according to the makers you still have to nitrogen purge. 15% works great and never had the problem I did with those joints. In fact if my memory has'nt been cooked by the heat, I redid the joints with 15%.

Sorry but not again.

Don in MO
  • Ross_7
    Ross_7 Member Posts: 577
    Use of Stay Brite#8

I don't use it on anyting larger than 3/4" o.d. Why would you? I talking like small applications like 3 tons and under.Peace as Clammy would say.
    Ross
This discussion has been closed.