Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

PEX vs. copper

Doug_11
Doug_11 Member Posts: 16
The original system was a single-pipe steam system hooked to a 1926 Arco boiler. I had to yank everything to gain access to the guts of the house and correct severe structral issues. Totally reframing a house from the inside, starting in the basement...talk about fun.

Comments

• Doug_11

Hi all-

I'm in the process of getting quotes for a complete repipe/new boiler install. I'm keeping the original cast iron radiators and am interested in your thoughts on copper vs PEX piping. This is my house which I plan on living in (God willing) for many years.

Thanks,

Doug
  • Couderay
    Couderay Member Posts: 314
    Copper vs. pex

If you can afford it copper without a doubt. Been around a long time and will be there when were gone.It is however a lot more expensive and more labor intensive. For ME, I wouldn't have pex if it was all for free.
  • ALH_4
    ALH_4 Member Posts: 1,790
    PEx

Pex will outlast us all and it costs far less than copper. I would have no reservations about using pex for the piping that is not visible.

Why the complete repipe? You can zone with thermostatic radiator valves and retain original piping in hot water systems in nearly all cases.
  • kamney
    kamney Member Posts: 15
    Black iron?

Have you considered having it done in black iron? It expands less and attracts less attention from thieves.
  • ed wallace
    ed wallace Member Posts: 1,613
    pex vs copper

are you converting from steam to hot water? if staying with steam pexand copper are nonos
  • Doug_11

Converting to hot water.
  • jp_2
    jp_2 Member Posts: 1,935
    many say say with steam

here:oops ( stay with steam)

are you sure the old rads can take water pressure? what if they leak?

if you start a post " change steam over to hot water" you'll get lots of replies on the subject.
  • Doug_11
    Good Point

I plan on pressure testing them before I install them (50psi dry before higher-pressure wet). I need to resize pretty much all of them so any leaks will be dealt with by nipple or section replacement. I (very stupidly) chucked the original radiators with the tearout of the old heating system, the "new" radiators came from a house that was just torn down-i.e. heating sytem functional up to the time of demolition.
This discussion has been closed.