Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

The Man from Nantucket (Dan H.)

DanHolohan
DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,512
Take a look at this fellow's <a href="http://www.squidoo.com/nantuckethvac"target="_blank">blog</a>. Scroll down a bit and look at the sections that he credits to himself as author.

Then look <a href="http://www.heatinghelp.com/heating_howcome1.cfm"target="_blank">here</a> and <a href="http://www.heatinghelp.com/heating_howcome2.cfm"target="_blank">here</a>. He has stolen my copyrighted work, which is like stealing a man's tools.

<b>There once was a man from Nantucket,

Who carried his pride in a bucket.

Said he, "I'm a Dan, too!

So I'll just steal from <i>you</i>."

This shameless man from Nantucket</b>

Shame on you Dan Capoziello of Nantucket. Shame on you.
Retired and loving it.

Comments

• DanHolohan
    And if you happen to know this stinker,

tell him that I'm spreading the word.
    Retired and loving it.
  • scott k_3
    scott k_3 Member Posts: 22

I think the "wallies" should comment on the other guys site regarding his blatent theft. Just a thought
  • ALH_4
    ALH_4 Member Posts: 1,790
    Plagiarism...

...is the least sincere form of flattery.
  • DanHolohan
    I did that

but it goes to him for editing. He doesn't answer, which is why I'm bringing it up here. How Come?, which is the book from which this comes, is registered with the U.S. Copyright office. He's breaking the law.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Shane_2
    Shane_2 Member Posts: 191
    Theft

I Don't know if it will go anywhere, but I notified the moderator of squidu whatever, about the theft of your copyright protected material.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Mark Hunt_4
    Mark Hunt_4 Member Posts: 68
    Did you try calling him?

He lists his phone number.

Better yet, have your lawyer call him.

Mark H
  • DanHolohan
    Thanks, Shane.

I did that yesterday. No reply.
    Retired and loving it.
  • DanHolohan
    I called

all day yesterday, last night, and several times today. No one answers the phone.
    Retired and loving it.
  • UniR_2
    UniR_2 Member Posts: 3
    That's pretty bold... and stupid.

Stealing one’s words is quite vile

Just to lure business from an isle

This firm without liver

Likely hails from Fall River

And would be advised to avoid a trial
  • DanHolohan
    Gee, I wish I had written that.

Can I steal it? :-)
    Retired and loving it.
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928

SHAME!!! SHAME!!!! SHAME!!!!!

Flattery is when Dan Holohan acknowledges and credits Stabuck and his wonderful little Q&A style handbooks at the beginning of How Come? and even gives reverence of him via a personal story directly involving Starbuck at the end.

Rightfully illegal is when you not only "borrow" the style without acknowledgement for you own similar commercial purposes but use copies of entire sections of copyrighted text.

• Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928

An in-law and most highly positioned and respected person I've ever known loved to write limericks and insisted that they had to be superficially crude or dirty...

There once was a man from Nantucket,

Who said about law, well just fu¢k it.

We're in the same game,

And good guys are lame,

So steal from Dan and say suck it.
  • Hvacman
    Hvacman Member Posts: 159

So who is this loser?
    To Nantucket we should send a cruiser,
    and blast away,
    at his moral decay,
    until "sorry" he does say...
  • jackchips_2
    jackchips_2 Member Posts: 1,338
    Sorry Dan,

but asking to "steal it" ahows you can not.

But you knew that-LOL.

Life continues to be interesting.

:-)

Jack
  • bill nye_3
    bill nye_3 Member Posts: 307
    there once

There once was a man from Nantookit,

his balls were so big he just tookit.

He said with a grin "it's not a sin"

Its Dan's work, but I'm just a jerk, So I snuck it
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    Nail this guy, Dan.

When did original thought fall out of favor?

How would someone think this is ok?

Dan is a high profile guy in this industry.
    What in the world would make someone think it would be ok to copy and paste his words to their own public advertising?

Dan, I hope you get a portion of this guys profits for the time the website remains as is.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    My limerick:

There once was a man from Nantucket

Who tried passing himself off as smart when obviously he was ignorant of not only etiquette and common courtesy but of copyright laws and something called "intellectual property".
    So he embarrassed himself in front of the peers of his industry and revealed himself as a person incapable of expressing himself in his own voice.

...I don't know. Somehow my limerick lacks the flow and intonation the others seem to have.

Maybe 'cause I'm I-talian.

Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • Douglas Hicks
    Douglas Hicks Member Posts: 69
    Theft

Theft is theft. the guy is a thief. On the Grease Police, a board for commercial kitchen exhaust cleaners, we see evidence of stolen photos. we have evenseen people from foreign countries post stolen photos. Members of the board then call the thief's cell, business phone, and even home phone to ask if theivery is a normal part of their business plan. Now, you have to realize, most of us who clean resturant hoods have to that after hours. This results in these theives getting phone calls at all hours of the day and night. We also e-mail the person. If there is a webmaster involved, we call them. Usually the response is "I did not know the pictures were stolen" Usually they get taken down, but go back up after a time. Then we start all over again. Of course, you can get an attorney involved, but the phone calls are fun. it is especially fun when the perp admits the pictures are not oh his company's work. Then you get to ask if there work is so poor that they do not want to show pictures of their own work.

If the stolen material is not removed, I propose each of the Wallies contact the person by phone. It should be done in relays, starting at 5;00 AM and continiuing until late at night. When you get done with an emergency service call, end the day with a phone call. When the day is filled with problems, give the guy a call. Take out your frustrations. It will make you feel better.
  • Kevin O. Pulver_2
    Kevin O. Pulver_2 Member Posts: 87
    I'm up for it

A phone call is the least I can do for Dan after all he's done for me! I have a feeling this guy's marketing plan may have taken a nasty turn...
    Kevin
  • Steve Ebels_3
    Steve Ebels_3 Member Posts: 1,291
    Dan

You should probably pursue that legally. If I'm not mistaken, after a certain amount of time has elapsed with no action taken regarding copyright and patent infringement issues, the courts consider the rights to be lapsed.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    508-232-5123

I just tried that, you get a brief hip-hop sound clip then a reorder (fast busy). Not a great way to impress customers. It's probably a cell phone.

Hot tip: in most areas on landline phones, if you push *67 and wait for the dial tone to go beep-beep-beep-brrrrrrrrrrrr before dialing the number, it will block the receiving phone from getting a Caller ID readout. So he won't be able to call you back.

Dan H, if you haven't contacted your lawyer you need to do so NOW.

• TommyOil_3
    TommyOil_3 Member Posts: 20
    There once

was a plumber named Dan, who stole the words of another man. The lawyers they came, and on him they laid blame, and he did twenty years in the can (and paid a huge settlement and printed a retraction)
  • TommyOil_3
    TommyOil_3 Member Posts: 20
    Question Dan

How the heck did you happen upon that?? After all, what were the chances of you happening upon your own work. Seems like a million to one shot.
  • albandjann1725849
    albandjann1725849 Member Posts: 19
    not a pro?

A quick check of the MA professional licensure database shows no Capoziello licensed as a gasfitter or plumber. What's up with that?
  • Steve Garson_2
    Steve Garson_2 Member Posts: 712

It's very easy to find plagiorism on the web. All you need to do is enter a string of words in quotes from a sentence in your written work, on Google. Presto! You find anyone who is using your words.
    Steve from Denver, CO
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Dan , Evidentily he never read Pumping Away *~/:)

Because his boiler has a header without a circulator in sight of the expansion tank.

The tools he chose to use might have been a benefit had he explored the Application...Eh?

It is Good to see you again :)

• PeterGriffin
    PeterGriffin Member Posts: 79
    nobody home?

(508) 232-5123
    Type: Land Line
    Provider: AT&T

Maybe Dan needs to leave a "Hello sir, I have no heat and I've got small children etc... could you please return my call as soon as possible..."
  • mtfallsmikey
    mtfallsmikey Member Posts: 765
    Being high profile

In the industry makes you a very nice and easy target, Dan. I'm sorry this has happened to you.
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    WOW

Thats pretty shameless and arrogant.

Lets spread the word.

Dan, I'm sure you've allready contacted a lawyer. Keep us informed.

Also the Mass Board of State Plumbers should be informed as Every Advertisment must inlude a license number and this does not.

Scott

• Rick_76
    Rick_76 Member Posts: 2
    Cease & Desist

Dan,
    You certainly didn’t invent hydronics. In fact isn’t everything you write already been written? Everything you say has already been said. I am sure the people you copied were flattered too. Life is plagiarism and now this poor schlep trying to put food on his table has your war-dogs calling him non-stop. Gentlemen, get back to providing for your family. Everybody needs to lighten up and let Dan fight his own battles (is this really a battle). We all say and write things we wish we could take back, I know of some manufacturers that think Dan shouldn’t write some of the things they have said to him. Remove his phone number, that can be construed as harassment.

My 2 cents
  • bill nye_3
    bill nye_3 Member Posts: 307
    Hey Pete

Yeah people steal stuff, but you have to give credit to who you stole it from, you can't just put your name on it and pass it off as your own work.

Try that with your college professor on your next term paper, you'll probably get an F.
  • DanHolohan
    And should a thief steal your tools

should I chastise you and tell you that you didn't invent plumbing or heating and that the poor schlep is just trying to put food on his table and that none of your peers should support you, but rather support the thief?

Take your 2 cents and stuff it, buster.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Too bad...

tar and feathers are not an option these days.
  • Rich L.
    Rich L. Member Posts: 414
    Amen

Amen Dan!

Stealing is stealing. It's one thing to quote somebody, giving credit where credit is due, but another thing (theft) to copy somebodys work, word for word, and claim it for your own.

"Remove his phone number, that can be construed as harassment." - The real harassment here is directed toward Dan by the thief.

This guy deserves everything he has coming. I'm calling him right now.
  • John Starcher_4
    John Starcher_4 Member Posts: 794
    Hmmmm......

Sounds like "Pete" may actually be Dan from Nantucket???

Just sayin.......
  • Mitch_4
    Mitch_4 Member Posts: 955
    Are you for real \"Pete\"

ok, yes some of the stuff is not new, but to copy VERBATIM is the case here..No dead man's family will want a fee if you say "these rads are the best for comfort" or any of a miilion other things we all use...Gil Carlson does not want a nickle everytime the expression "pumping away" is used..

But to copy verbatim, EXACTLY, someone elses work, claim it as your own, for personal gain is illegal.

pla·gia·rism
    Pronunciation Key - [pley-juh-riz-uhm, -jee-uh-riz-]
    –noun
    1. the unauthorized use or close imitation of the language and thoughts of another author and the representation of them as one's own original work.
    2. something used and represented in this manner

plagiarize

Main Entry: pla·gia·rize
    Pronunciation: ˈplâ-jə-ˌrîz also -jç-ə-
    Function: verb
    Inflected Form(s): pla·gia·rized; pla·gia·riz·ing
    Etymology: plagiary
    Date: 1716
    transitive verb
    : to steal and pass off (the ideas or words of another) as one's own : use (another's production) without crediting the source
    intransitive verb
    : to commit literary theft : present as new and original an idea or product derived from an existing source

If you know the definition..this idiot (not you pete, the other one on the web site,,ok maybe you too..but anyway) fits these to a tee.
  • jp_2
    jp_2 Member Posts: 1,935
    WE SHOULD ALL

contact his advertisers and tell them we do not approve of his business practices.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    And just for the record

that phone number came straight from the ad containing his plagiarism of Dan H's work. So there is an implication that he WANTS people to call the number. We're glad to oblige.

Still no answer or functioning voice mail. What a surprise.

• Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Cease and Desist

When ART put up its website, within 6 months, someone lifted entire sections (including the graphics) from the site and posted them on theirs. One letter from our attorney had it removed promptly.

Morals and ethics seem to be in short supply sometimes.

This discussion has been closed.