Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How would you heat a spray paint booth?

Most booths use gas fired make-up air. The gas supply is required to shut off at fire suppession system activation. Automatic gas valves can be mechnaical or electric. See UL Standard 1254 or NFPA Model codes for booth fire suppression system requirments.

fireguy

Comments

• hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Building is up

concrete slab in place. 900 square feet bay in a metal building 25 foot tall ceiling.

Their previous shop had electric radiant, bulb type heaters. The overspray rendered them very ineffective from the beginning he told me.

A slab overpour or demo is not an option.

Thanks for any ideas.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Hmmmm....

Could Roth panels take the overhead load?

Otherwise, the wall-mounted and/or ceiling-mounted emitters sound like the best idea so far.
  • What Scott said...

turn it into a radiant oven, hydronically powered.

Paint on the surface would not drastically effect the ability of the surface to emit heat.

ME
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Green !

Mark, did'nt you say that Green was the best color for emmitters :)

Tell them to spray green and keep up the output. :0

Scott

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Troy_3
    Troy_3 Member Posts: 479
    Spray booth

Hotrod: The last one we designed with six Ci radiators. 3 on each side of the spray booth. They pull a car in the spray booth and turn on manual valves to the radiators and heat up the car. The radiators have about an inch of paint on them now and still radiate beautifully. Simple and effective.
  • Actually...

it was a color called elm leaf green. Kind of a flat green, ground to 2 microns of thickness. Flat black will work just as well (+/- .02%). Here's your chance HR. Show them radiant EVERYTHING! Walls and ceilings for sure, too bad about the floor, but then there's probably not really a bunch of advantage to the floor being hot anyway.

ME

• thfurnitureguy_4
    thfurnitureguy_4 Member Posts: 398
    paint spray booth heaters

Depending on what thay are spraying Cars furniture ect there a number of systems that work well. The most popular is an air makeup unit which blows hot air at or slightly above the cfm of the spray booth. it is very costly to run but you need a constant supply of dry warm air across the booth or you will have considerable problem with your coatings. 80* is nice. Most smaller shops use a closed booth to spray and roll the sprayed product into a burnoff room. these ovens have catylic heaters that heat and burn off the stray solvents as they vent at a much lower rate than a booth. If the guy is not to Hi tech. I had a friend in the car business that used an outdoor wood boiler and old CI radiators. His make up unit consisted of 10 feet of radiators inside of a duct. What works in the mountains of Western Maryland may not be what is needed here. If you use radiant be awair of the bubble factor. Hi temp radiant will heat the body of the painted surface and cause the solvents to gas from within. makes a nasty bubble effect on hot solvent finishes like lacquer. Warm stable low humidity air is what you want. Down draft whenever possible for the booth.
  • S Ebels
    S Ebels Member Posts: 2,322
    Or

Investigate a direct fired, 100% makeup air unit for the times they are spraying. This of course is assuming they need that type of input due to exhaust being run whilst they spray. If there's no exhaust requirements (hard to imagine) go with some type of radiant heat like the other guys suggested, radiators, walls, ceilings. The customer should take comfort in the fact that they are in the hands of one of the best of the best!
  • don_52
    don_52 Member Posts: 199
    Paintbooth Overview

HR,

Happened to have this link handy;

http://www.rezspec.com/cms_download.php?mod_files[fileid]=000000000590

May give you some insight.

Regards, db
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928

Would suggest iron rads as well. Column-type, with three or more columns.
  • Floyd_21
    Floyd_21 Member Posts: 7
    Years ago.....

I designed a system to set the Gelcoat on the molds of a company that pours cultured marble vanity tops. They need to get the gelcoat sprayed on and set, before pouring the slop into the mold.
    Used a GV-6 boiler and set it right beside a 7.5 ton A/C air handler, minus the refrig. coil. Actually I had to remove the coil because they wouldn't sell me just the blower. I matched their hot water coil to the air handler. Got about 30* differential out of that system, with the boiler running steady at 200*. They have since built three more lines... the GV boilers last anywhere from 6- 10 years, and of course there is some maintainence on them in that time period. They are set up to pull outdoor air, but the fine dust from the powder still gets into the burner cone and the blowers fail after running that many hours. Last I knew they were running them 2 and sometimes three shifts 5 and sometimes 6 days a week.

Floyd
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    moveable pannels...?

with swivel connections and stainless braided hoses?

• tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    direct fired makeup air

I have done quite a bit of factory fireups and service on devilbiss paint booths, good units pretty straight forward. Although I think heating 100% makeup air is not the best way to go. Good luck Tim.
  • Tom M.
    Tom M. Member Posts: 237
    I watched a video made by House of Kolor,

They had a small booth (only painting motorcycle parts). I noticed that they used CI baseboard.
  • rich pickering
    rich pickering Member Posts: 277

The big factor is what osha requires for the type of paint being used. As much as CI rads sound appealing,100% mua may be the only option.
This discussion has been closed.