Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How Do I Purge my Hydronic Heating System?????

Joey
Joey Member Posts: 3
I have a gas furnace and 2 zones for hydronic heat. I can hear a little gurgling in the pipes and I'm sure there is air somewhere in the system. Question is: How exactly do I purge each zone? Click the link below or copy and paste it for a sketch of my system, that might make describing easier. Basically, in order to purge each zone, which valves do I need to shut off and which stay on.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o199/jfon0604/Furnace.jpg

How long do I run the water through the system? After its all said and done, what pressure should I put the system back up to.

Sorry for all the questions, I appreciate any help!

Thanks.

Comments

• chris_93
    chris_93 Member Posts: 84
    purge system

Your system was installed with future service in mind. Lots of isolation valves are good!!
    For zone 1>
    1.Close valve 5
    2.Open valve 1
    3.use the quick fill on the feed valve #1.
    4.Watch the pressure guage. Keep between 15-20 lbs.
    5.Continue until air stops coming out of the hose.
    6.Close quick fill, close valve 1 make sure pressure is between 10-12lbs. if not bleed off more water through valve 1.
    7.Open valve 5 and your done.

Repeat for zone 2.
    using valves 4 and 2.

Good luck.
  • Kal Row
    Kal Row Member Posts: 1,520
    simple...

-1- shut boiler

-2- shut valves 4 and 5,

-3- hook up a hose to bib above #4

-4- if your boiler's water feed pressure regulator has a lever, lift it straight up to pressurize the system but keep it below 25psi or the boiler's pressure relief valve will open - you might need to play with this lever up and down as you purge, remember the original pressure - the correct pressure cold is the highest point in the system - minus the lowest point in the system in ft divided by 2.33 + 5 - that should be your cold static pressure - eg if you system is 18ft tall, typical 2 story house - from boiler in basement to radiators at floor of level 2, then , 18ft / 2.33 = 7.7, + 5 = 12.7. “12.5” just happens to be the factory setting for most feed regulators, as well as the air pre-charge pressure, on expansion tanks
    - the 2.33ft is because every 28inches of height is 1 lb of pressure, the +5 is to keep at least 5psi of pressure at the highest point to keep the pump from sucking in air

-5- open bib above #4 and drain on until water runs clear and quiet

-6- close bib and repeat for bib above #5

-7- drop feed bypass lever and drain any bib to bring pressure down to orginal level

-8- reopen valves 4 and 5

-9- restart boiler and have a nice day

For more detailed info – you will have to buy dan holohans books and really learn about the systems
  • Joey

Thanks so much your you help guys!! Quick question...does it matter if I shut both valves 4 and 5 at the same time to drain either zone? Or should I shut 5 and open bib 1, let it drain. Then open 5 shut bib 1. And lastly, shut 4 and open bib 2?
  • chris_93
    chris_93 Member Posts: 84

You can shut them both together. Remember you are not draining the system you are replacing the existing water and (air) with new water via the feed valve.
  • Joey

Great!! Thanks so much for your help!
This discussion has been closed.