Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

slant fin

Thanks for giving me another reason not to buy Slant Fins products...

Comments

• jeb
    jeb Member Posts: 46
    SLANT FIN

I was AT Home Depot today and saw a Slant Fin Sentry S-90.BTu boiler (Standing Pilot) marked down FROM $999 TO $625. Do u think its a good buy? I was going to use it in a rental property.
    Thanks
  • by the way

Forgot to ask ya, did the people in the orange smock gonna sell u the pvc fittings for the boiler job because it cheaper and faster?..
  • phil_18
    phil_18 Member Posts: 5
    SLANT FIN

I will have my cousin who is a licensed Plumber install it if he thinks it is the right size. I will call him in the morning.
    rjbphd-What reasons do u dislike slantfin? (Besides HD Selling them)
  • hvacsale
    hvacsale Member Posts: 19
    How much will it really cost?

Great question VH!

At first glance, the sale price on that boiler probably looks like a terrific deal. If you were to get a quote from a reliable contractor in your area for a new heating system you would undoubtedly get an initial cost many times more than that.

But there's a lot more to it than just the price of the boiler, in fact, the price of the boiler is one of the Last issues that you should be looking at. Cummins makes some great engines, so does Briggs & Stratton. A decision based on price alone may be very different than one based on an evaluation of need.

Of course I'm not bashing Slant Fin here (or Briggs), my point is that you need to establish a target in order to know you've hit it. The way to get a target in heat output is to perform a heat loss on the area to be conditioned. That will tell you how much heat you need, but it's only the first of many steps.

Other issues that need to be examined are: the area you want to put the boiler in, sizing and condition of the piping you want to connect to or install, venting the combustion gases safely and properly, your house wiring, adequate fresh air to replace the gases going up your chimney all year long, what other appliances may be in the area of the boiler, and a long list of other factors. Is it time for t'stat or other control upgrade as a part of the boiler changeout, what about zoning, how many zones and how will you control them? What is the condition of your chimney and what is going on around the chimney? Is standing pilot the best way to go for your application? As fuel prices continue to increase, how much will that standing pilot cost whomever is paying for heat? If it's you, that additional operating expense is coming right out of your bottom line for as long as you own that building with that boiler in it. If tenant's are paying for it, will they be able to afford the cost of heat? If not, you will have trouble keeping the building rented or have to lower your price to make it affordable. Both of these options come out of your bottom line also.

Finally, will you feel that you got a good deal when it's installed? If someone is helping you with your DIY job, will they be there whenever there is a problem? Who will be going out to your rental property if/when there's no heat at 3 am on New Year's eve?

A wise person once told me that nobody buys a drill because they need a drill. They buy a drill because they need a hole.

When you say you're looking at buying a new boiler, you mean you need a new heating system. The next question is: Why? What is happening with your current system that you want to stop or change? There's a significant amount of assembly required for a heating system. Will that assembly be targeting the resolution of your core reasons for changing heating systems or will it be targeting putting in a boiler as quick as possible because the game is starting in a little while and the beer's cold?

The additional money you invest upfront having a qualified heating professional design and install a system will address all the issues I've brought up and more, since I've never even seen your building. Whoever installs the new system will be taking on the responsibility for all those issues. That person could be a seasoned heating professional that does it gladly as a career, or it could be you. The real first question then is: Whose shoulders do you want all that responsibility to rest on?
  • jeb
    jeb Member Posts: 46

You make many valid points. I will not be doing any of the install.(Maybe just help carry in and out.) I would not buy anything until my cousin who is a licensed plumber for the past 15 years looks at the jobsite and determines my needs. I am confident in his abilities. I have had 8 other boilers installed by him with no problems. I guess what I really wanted to know was a opinion on the slantfin product. I will keep you all advised after my cousin takes a look.
  • leo g_13
    leo g_13 Member Posts: 435
    I personnaly

like the Slant/Fin product. Good economical, basic boiler. If the size fits, I say go for it! Home Despot or not!

Leo G

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.