Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Munchkin noise

Options
Guy_6
Guy_6 Member Posts: 450
The noise that you are experiencing may be the result of a deteriorating burner gasket. This is the gasket that is sandwiched between the "top hat" burner and the face plate of the boiler. Watch the falme current on the display and see if it is fluctuating CONSIDERABLY, as that is an indicator of gasket failure. I only say this as it is one of the only possibilities considering the time frame explained and the parts changed with no result. If there had been a condensate back up issue (indiated by a "high tide line" in the comb. chamber), gasket failure MAY occur. Call HTP and ask Chuck.

Comments

• Plumbob_3
    Plumbob_3 Member Posts: 22
    Options

I hope this rings a bell with someone. I have a Munchkin 140 I installed a little over 3 years ago. It has been flawless until now. There has been a vibration developing when it is at high fire and the outlet temp reaches about 170. By putting it in service mode I can get the noise evertime.

At first I thought it was the gas line in the wall directly behind the unit. Yesterday I brought a propane tank to the job and fired it. The gas line now completely diconnected....got the vibration. There are no other pipes close in that wall.

I have cut the exhaust and ran it, tried a new boiler pump,changed the blower, cleaned the coil, took the tp and pressure switch and was able to look inside the coil.

So now I have eliminated the gas supply, check the flow through the boiler, eliminated the exhaust and come up empty. The noise and vibration is substantial.

My combustion analyzer is being repaired but like I said the unit has been flawless for three years.

Any thoughts?
  • Plumbob_3
    Options

No ideas?
  • Dof3
    Dof3 Member Posts: 120
    Options
    Not sure?

You might have to call the boys at Munchkin[HWP] on Tues. Maybe you need to adjust the CO with a combustion analyzer.
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options

a blower wheel out of balance? Or a harmonic type of noise from combustion?

I've found I have to adjust every single gas valve when converting to LP. This includes the Ultras, Munchkins, and Lochinvar Knights. Usually it is less than 1/4 turn on the adjustment. Although never a noise on ther MZ installs :)

The noise is ALWAYS a low fire induced noise.

On the Munchkin 80 with the Dungs valve the manual tell you 4 turns for LP conversion. I had to back off 1/2 turn to get the noise to disapper.

This adjustment may, or may not put you emission numbers at the extreme of the range, sometimes a bit out of range.

The tech service folks at the factory tell me to slowly, 1/16 turns at a time and wait a few minutes, adjust till the noise goes away.

It is not an option to have them hum, vibrate or moan for their entire life :)

My question is the long term effect of having them run slightly out of the "ideal" range on the CO, CO2 ??

Time will tell, I suppose.

I highly recommend you leave a combustion analyzer printout and a description of the action taken, and why in the back of the owners manual left at the jobsite. All the various owner manuals have back pages to jot down notes. Use it!

Questions may come up down the road. Good to have date and documantation, and reasons for action taken when adjusting like that.

Sounds like something has changed in your system, if it is not on the installation or hardware, I suppose you will need to adjust and test again.

Always best to get the factory input, however before you start off tweaking things.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
    Options
    I just had

a Munchkin T50LP noisy on start up. Just for 30 seconds or so and then it would go away. I adjusted to 107 ppm CO. and it went away. I would guess your noise is combustion mix based. Good luck and let us know what you find. WW

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Plumbob_3
    Options

Thanks guys. The combustion analyzer is my next move{as soon as I get it back from being repaired}, I just find it hard to belive after three years this occurs.

Hot rod: I did change the blower thinking it was a vibration, but my only option now is co.

Probably 2/3 of my systems are propane and they always need adjusting, The Dungs are no exception.

I have had a fairly knowledgable rep out who spoke with HTP on the phone a few times during the course of the visit. All partys seemed perplexed.

I appreciate the ideas and will let you all know what I find
  • Brian (Tankless)
    Brian (Tankless) Member Posts: 340
    Options
    Calorific (btu) content

is it possible the Propane values change periodically, the way Nat gas does? Just a thought, Bob. Did the owner just get a tank refill.

Happy New Year.

Brian.
  • Bill Barrett_3
    Bill Barrett_3 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Samething

I really wanted to keep this thread going. I have been having the same problem with a harmonic noise this year on a LP Munchkin 80M . Has been in for over a year with o problems till now. Just on start up and low fire, I have adjusted the burner but can't get all the noise out. Also this year I've noticed my LP jobs have a red color to the condensate in the trap of my Back 125 pro?
    Thanks
    Bill
This discussion has been closed.