Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gas tight verses Ward Flex???

the Trac pipe is almost identical to GasTite EXCEPT that you must trim the plastic coating back farther so it doesn't enter the brass fitting. It looks very unprofessional that way and exposes it to the flux and stuff that was warned about above. I've never used Wardflex, but saw the gasket and didn't want to switch from GasTite. I've never had a lead with it, it's super easy. Kevin

Comments

• Josh S.
    Josh S. Member Posts: 9

We are a shop that specializes in new boiler installs and we currently run all black pipe for the gas line. I am looking at switching to a flexible stainless steel pipe like gas tight and am wondering what other contractors think of gas tight and ward flex. Ward flex is about a 1/3 of the cost and the new product seems comprable to gas tight. What do you guys think?
  • brucewo1b
    brucewo1b Member Posts: 638
    it has gotten better

I always had problems with the compresion connectors leaking because i would cut the pipe and leave a jaged edge and the gasket would get damaged. Now that i cut the pipe slower and dont leave a jagged edge not as many problems. The other thing is the new style compression fittings require less work so it is easier to install. I like the product alot
  • Ron Schroeder
    Ron Schroeder Member Posts: 998
    Use it alot

The only problem I have had was on an install not done by us and the stainless was left exposed and someone solding copper dribbled some flux on the SS and it ate a hole, so make sure any exposed SS is covered in electrical tape.
  • jim lockard
    jim lockard Member Posts: 1,059
    rough edges

we carry a file when making up ward flex fittings, along with a few extra gaskets. CSST be it wardflex or gastite is a real time saver. Best Wishes J.Lockard
  • Gary Reecher
    Gary Reecher Member Posts: 111

Those are both good products, but check Parker Hannifins Parflex. To install it you leave the compression nut and rings on the fitting take the csst and push it into the compression nut. Seems much easier than removing the nut sliding it down the tubing attaching the compression rings then slide the compression nut up to the fitting to the fitting like its competitors. Which would you rather use in a dirt crawl space?
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Used all

I have used all three mentioned, and although I truely do like the Parker pipe, it is in limited supply in my area and hard to get. The company I work for now uses's gastite and it work's good. I have never been a fan of the ward flex due to the gasket. But then again, I have not used it in 6 years...
  • Ken C.
    Ken C. Member Posts: 267
    My vote's for Gastite

I've never had a problem with Gastite, but I did have a leak the one time I worked with Wardflex (older style). I'll stick with Gastite.
  • kevin coppinger_4
    kevin coppinger_4 Member Posts: 2,124
    actually i prefer

Trac pipe...I like the auto flare feature....it seems much heavier duty that the wardflex...kpc

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,034
    CSST comparison

Good points all.

I like both Gastite and Trac Pipe's fittings. The Parker system has too many parts to fit and lose as with Wardflex. BTW, these are autoflare listed fittings and NOT compression fit.

The Gastite system as noted allows the platic to be sealed by the two piece bushing so it keeps out water and stuff better, and yes, it has a cleaner finish. However, I've found some of their autoflare bushings to have a burr on the edge preventing it from mating properly causing a leak. I've never had that problem with the two piece split rings from Trac Pipe. I spent a day at Omegaflex's plant and rode on jobsites with an engineer and I have to say I am very impressed with their quality.

One other consideration is the Equivalent Hydraulic Diameter or EHD. This is a system of rating the various nominal sizes into actual performance. Therefore, for equal runs under the same static pressures, Trac Pipe will flow more gas than the equivalent size of Gastite as an example. There is an EHD chart in the appendix of the gas codes...

When compared to black iron, I feel there is no comparison. CSST wins hands down. CSST is a listed system that is allowed in concealed construction, unlike black iron. As long as you use the striker plates, support it and play by the rules, you should have no problems, just as with anything else. One word of caution: the aforementioned flux corrosion is very real as is acid used to wash down masonry. If used near brick such as a fireplace, it must be protected. Type 304 stainless is good but cannot stand up to muriatic acid baths.

One final note: while CSST joints can be loosened and rotated, they are Not considered unions in the eyes of the codes. This is a two edged sword because some AHJs still want an iron ground union outside an appliance cabinet while others realize it serves the funciton of a union allowing easy separation of the pipe while still being allowed to be concealed. Check with your AHJ before starting your next project. Most that understand these systems allow them to penetrate appliance cabinets and connect directly to the valve as long as you have your shutoff and sediment trap in compliance elsewhere.

The single biggest problem I have found with these systems bar none is that they come on 250 ft. spools. Guys go nuts and make runs of 75 feet of 1/2" or worse yet 3/8ths" CSST. They should not be allowed to make 3/8ths size. I like the old BOCA Plumbing Code that required min. 1/2" pipe to all gas utilization equipment. Same goes for 3/8ths copper runs. Just say no! I've seen too many delayed ignitions and investigated too many incidents where people got hurt because of undersized gas lines.
    HTH!
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452

I have used both trac pipe and gastite without any problems. I have never used warflex or parker.

It's good stuff if used in the right application--there are places not to use it even if it is legal imho

ED
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Track pipe is my stainless of choice.

This discussion has been closed.