Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Natural Gas Prices

Al Corelli
Al Corelli Member Posts: 454
'Wet T-shirt night?" Joes Garage.

Comments

• Paul Cooke
    Paul Cooke Member Posts: 181
    What Does a Therm Cost Where you Live?

In Portland, Oregon NW Natural Gas will be charging $1.27 a therm starting next month. Just in time for the heating season.

Anyone care to list what you pay in different parts of the country? Just curious.
  • Steve Ebels_3
    Steve Ebels_3 Member Posts: 1,291
    Rigth now

A therm is $.82 but the local news this evening declared that rates are going up 40% by January.
  • RonWHC
    RonWHC Member Posts: 232
    Commercial rate

(yearly contract) til 11/30- $.89 per therm + delivery, balancing fee, peak charge, meter charge, rights -of-way charge = about $1.55 per delivered therm. Oops. Forgot the 10% gross receipts tax. Plus the 5.75% sales tax, for those dumb enough to be a business.

• Bob W._3
    Bob W._3 Member Posts: 561

$1.00/therm, plus or minus. Should go up about 20% according to the gas co.; so. central Minnesota. Far cheaper than oil or propane in these parts. Corn stoves are flying out the doors of TSC, Menards, etc.
  • Ted Robinson
    Ted Robinson Member Posts: 126
    gas prices

Previously I have posted that Keyspan Energy has gone up over 100% from Sept 04 to Sept 05. Shortly we'll see the Oct 05 rates.
  • jerry scharf_3
    jerry scharf_3 Member Posts: 419
    with our municipal utility

They are tiered the right direction (more use costs more.) These are the residential rates.

In the summer, the first 20 therms/mo are $1.013 and over that is 1.572. In the winter the same rates, but the cut is 96 therms/mo. No rate increase on the table, since they have lock in rates on their delivery contracts. (Fat load of good that did with the California "energy crisis" scam.)

For electric, the first 300kWH is $.0736/kWh, the next 300 is $.0978 and over that is $.1305/kWh.

PGE rates (most of SF bay area)

For gas, it's currently $1.25 per therm for the baseline (around 2 thems a day in winter) and $1.47 above that. But they already have approval for a 50% increase, so it will $1.88 and $2.20 soon.

For electric, it's $.1143 for baseline (around around 12kWh/day), $.1299 for 101-130%, $.1762 for 131-200% amd $.216 beyond that.

jerry
  • Jason_15
    Jason_15 Member Posts: 124
    gas cost

Right now in Milwaukee it's $1.12/therm. last month it was only $.85/therm. My utility, Wisconsin Energies, has an optional fixed price program similar to "locking in' your oil price in New England area. I have not ever used this program until this year. last year my actual gas cost for 12 months was around $1100. I just signed a contract to pay $1450 for the next 12 months regardless of actual cost/therm, temperature, or usage (must be within 15% of past average usage per degree day) I think I may have made a wise choice to go this route this year!!!
  • Just heard

the term "force majeure" (possible sic) as it relates to natural gas contracts. Hasn't happened yet. Could get interesting though.
  • Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Ouch...

Sounds like solar hot water heat is going to become increasingly interesting in CA, regardless of government subsidies.

I'm expecting similar prices for MA in the near future as the utilities ram through their rate increases. Unfortunately, our local utility does not yet tax largesse - yet. Our new time-of-day meters, etc. are likely to make the utility far more creative when it comes to shaping demand...

Our current electrical rate is scheduled to go up 27%, if NSTAR, et. al have their way... to about $0.21 per kWh... The gas bill is scheduled to go up 17% from last winter, so about $1.75 per Therm, depending on usage. You guys are going to have a busy season ahead...
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Ron,

Forced Majure, is French for any port in a storm, to get out of harms way. That was the original meaning but in this case it seems like it is intended to "keep the stockholders happy" and be able to keep the "dough flowing".

Good golly, what a mess.She's (we're)totally soaked ....and totally committed to the 50 bucks. (Frank Zappa, 1978). Chris
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    force majeure

In French means "greater force" In a contract it means performance is not enforceable in a war,natural disaster.For example if you had a contract to receive oil at a fixed price and the government instituted rationing you would not be able to force the supplier to provide you with the contracted quantity.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Dave_4
    Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405
    Minnesota:

From the linked article: "...Officials say Minnesota home-heating customers will pay an average of $1.31 per therm..."

http://wcco.com/topstories/local_story_273072916.html
  • Bob W._3
    Bob W._3 Member Posts: 561

I talked with a gas co rep a few days ago and he confirmed that they were looking at about a 20% hike over a base of $1.10 per therm, which would work out to $1.31. My budget appears to be based on $1.20. If we start having real winters again, all bets are off though. I do know this; people are reining in their discretionary spending because of the rise in energy costs. I personally think the economy is going to tank; at least it is going to get real difficult for those on fixed or marginal (low wage) incomes. Not good.
This discussion has been closed.