Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Sewer smell when heat is turned on

Options
Is your scorched air system tied into a humidifier? If so check the water in humidifier pan. Also see if the pad or nozzle is clean. There are tablets to introduce into the system. Stagnent water will have a sewer smell. Hope this helps.

Comments

• L.S
    L.S Member Posts: 3
    Options
    heating

Occasionally when my heat is on, I get a sewer/sulfur smell. It doesnt happen all the time but when it does its bad!!! There is no smell outside when this happens. Can any help?
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options

Is this forced air (furnace) heat?
  • L.S
    Options

Yes. Electric heater, a/c system. I've done all the trouble shootin I can think of, except snake the main sewer vent on the roof. Thought it my be coming from condensate drain for the ac, or the water heater overflow drain. Poured water in both. Doesnt always smell, but started a couple weeks ago off and on. Been in the house for 1 year.
  • ed wallace
    ed wallace Member Posts: 1,613
    Options
    sewer smell

sounds like the trap on a/c coil has dried out and is piped into the sewer line in ma. thats illegal

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • L.S
    Options

Thank you for your responses. I will try a couple more things and get someone out here to check your idea. If its an illegal hookup...heads will roll!!!
    Thanks again...and Happy Holidays!!!
  • Cosmo_3
    Cosmo_3 Member Posts: 845
    Options
    Please check these things

If this is a furnace, is the return ducted to the living space?

Are there a lot of exhaust outlets, and/or fireplaces/coal, wood stoves?

Nine times out of ten when I go on a sewer gas service call I find that there is not enough fresh air coming into the structure- which can easily pull sewer gas out of the traps in the plumbing system.

Also check that the fresh air inlet (commonly a 'mushroom cap') is installed on the main building drain "house trap" this is the main trap that keeps sewer gas from outside (municipal sewer system, or septic tank) from entering the building. The fresh air inlet is a vent that is located upstream from the main house trap, and allows fresh air into the plumbing system. Sometimes people mistakenly seal this fresh air inlet with a plug... not knowing that it must remain open. This fresh air is constantly moving due to thermal convection (chimney effect) in the pipe and exits out the vents at the top of the plumbing system.

Also you can check that the vents that terminate outside or thru the roof are open. One tell-tale sign that you have negative pressure problems in th structure is when it is difficult to open an outside swinging exterior door, or conversly if when opening an inside swinging exterior door it seems to open by itself after you turn the knob.

Cosmo Valavanis

Dependable P.H.C. Inc.
  • Bill Nye_2
    Bill Nye_2 Member Posts: 538
    Options
    Wayward rodent?

Perhaps a critter has found its way into your system? and may have departed this life?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Guy_6
    Guy_6 Member Posts: 450
    Options
    critter

It could also be the remains of a small critter somewhere in the system.The smallest of mice can really stink up the place. If that were the case though, the smell would be dwindling over time. We recently had a pet hamster escape in the house, and for 6 months I was waiting for the smell. Nothing. When moving a bookcase, I found it's reamins, still heavy and in tact, probably only a short time gone. It somehow made it down from the second floor (express route??) and was surviving on stolen dog kibble. Smart little critters.
    Sorry-off on a tangent.
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    Floor drain nearby?

make sure it is filled and add a tablespoon of mineral oil. It will help prevent evaporation.

hot rod

• Steamhead (in transit)
    Options
    Magnum, P.U.

could also be a broken DWV pipe in the basement.

This discussion has been closed.