Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pasta

Empire_2
Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
Even though you are drying pasta, wouldn't you want the value of water?

Comments

• Arthur
    Arthur Member Posts: 216
    Specific heat of Pasta

I have to calculate the heat requirements of a room used to dry pasta, So I need to know the specific heat requirements of pasta to complete the calculation, Has any of you guys done any thing similar??
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    MAybe

you should check with the Italian guys on the other post about Italian boilers.

Boy this site brings up everything. Lets us know what you find out.

Allways something interesting.

Scott

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • singh
    singh Member Posts: 866

Al Dente or stick to the ceiling.
    Ziti, orzo or bowties. So many questions??
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    \"specific heat requirements of pasta\"

You'll need to be more specific as to what you're looking for.

Drying pasta is done at room temperature.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928

Since you're drying, you're removing water. Weigh a good quantity of pasta--both "fresh" and after drying. The weight difference is the amount of water that has evaporated. You might want to do a number of batches and average the results.

To find the energy required to evaporate the water I believe you can use a good steam table. Find the latent heat value that weight of steam produced under vacuum sufficient to produce steam at your desired room temperature. If the fresh pasta arrives significantly cooler than the room also add the specific heat required to raise the water up to your room temp. (I have a feeling you'll be fairly safe ignoring the specific heat required to heat the pasta itself [to room temp] as I'm pretty sure most of the weight of fresh pasta will be the water.)

I guess you're talking about huge quantities of pasta in a relatively confined space so you're almost certain to need fresh air ventilation to remove the evaporated water from the room. If the incoming air is cooler than the drying room air don't forget to add in the heat required to bring that air (and the water vapor it contains) up to room temperature.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    This chart

doesn't give the time required, but it does give the temperatuer for macaroni. Hope it helps.
    Retired and loving it.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    More

This says five to six hours for most pastas

Scroll down
    Retired and loving it.
  • Barbarossa
    Barbarossa Member Posts: 89

You will also need a min. amount of air movement to insure a good rate of water removal and prevent a saturated layer from forming on or close to the product and it must exhausted. This can be done with a high vol/ low vel unit with a % makeup and exhust.
  • Christian Egli_2
    Christian Egli_2 Member Posts: 812
    This pasta is making me hungry

A back of the envelope calculation would suggest this to me.

To make water disappear, without magic, it takes about 1000 BTU per pound, no matter what.

Let's assume that pasta dough consists for a half of water moisture which needs to be gotten rid of (I really have no idea what secret pasta recipe your customer uses, you'll need to figure this out)

Then, we can get a value for minimum heat required to dry your pasta in relation to the room throughput. So, if your pasta chef will want to dry a maximum of 1000 lbs of pasta, you will need at least

1000 lbs pasta * 50% lb water/lb pasta * 1000 BTU/lb water = 500,000 BTU total

If this drying is supposed to happen over 5 hours, then you'll need a heat source that can provide 100,000 BTU per hour at the very least.

There's more:

You also need to worry about the room heat losses at the given drying temperature. Your heat source has to overcome those as well.

You'll also be having make up air to heat up.

I would really consider using a dehumidifier either in the whole room or on the make up air.

I would provide a base of heat in the make up air and supplemental radiant heat.

The Ilovepasta site is neat, it really makes you hungry?
This discussion has been closed.