Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Guestimate on EMPTY weight for standard old inside oil tank?

Brad White_9
Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
Their 275 gallon Tough Tank (12 Ga.single-wall) is 279 lbs. Their 330 gallon model is 320 lbs. One pound per gallon seems too handy a point of reference....

Comments

• Jim_66
    Jim_66 Member Posts: 22
    Guestimate on DRY weight of typical old inside steel oil tank?

Hi All!

I have an empty tank I'd like to haul up from my basement to my parents farm (for diesel).

Its in excellent shape. Reuse is technically forbidden in my city Im going to do it anyways. Removal outfits wont do it cuz they cant aid reuse, plus they are set up to deal with full tanks. No such rules at the farm! I imagine it has 2-3 gallons sludge in there we will burn up in our waste oil heater.

The thing is I gotta get it up the basement stairs, and I know thats going to be fun!

my question--I wonder if any of y'all know what a typical standard 265-gal type oval steel tank weighs? allowing for the fact that there are doubtless various gauges of steel and other variables--I'm just looking for ballpark so I can begin planning.

I hunted around online for a comparable tank with dry weight from manufactures, but it seems like everything is plastic now.

thanks for any help, I appreciate it!
  • Jim_66
    Jim_66 Member Posts: 22
    Since somebody will probably say/ask this...

I do know oil tanks corrode with use/time. The tank is just 6 years old, so has plenty life left in it I think!
  • Don \"Grumpy\" Walsh
    Don \"Grumpy\" Walsh Member Posts: 184

Read on a website where it was stated a 265 gallon steel tank weighed 120 pounds.
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Oiltank weight

Jim ,try 150-200lbs EMPTY.14ga
  • Dave DeFord_4
    Dave DeFord_4 Member Posts: 26
    I did the same thing..

a couple of years ago. As I remember it was a fairly easy job for 2 guys - but then I have outside stairs. If the legs unscrew removing them may make things easier if you have headroom problems.
  • Guy_6
    Guy_6 Member Posts: 450
    rope

Throw a rope loop through the leg brackets on either end to create lifting handles.

• Jason_15
    Jason_15 Member Posts: 124
    2 guys no problem

As others have said- I just did this in February. 2 of us and it was no problem. It does help if you are taller, I am over 6 ft. and it didn't even strain my back. the shorter guy said it was sort of awkward to lift, but not too heavy.
  • Jed_2
    Jed_2 Member Posts: 781
    Yaah

279-300lbs. for a typical 275 gal. dry, empty, steel oil tank. Two guys can handle it o.k. Dimentional clearance, I assume, are o.k., also. But, you estimate 2-3 gallons of sludge. I hope your estimate is accurate. What if it's 4-6 gallons, or 8-12 gallons? What does 1 gallon of oil weigh? And , what does 1 gallon of sludge oil weigh? Those are the variables which might up the beef required.

Jed
This discussion has been closed.