Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Honeywell L8148 Aquastat

Options
Rob_31
Rob_31 Member Posts: 17
Hello. I had a pipe leak water into my Aquastat relay, and it tripped the breaker on the furnace. I took the knobs off the low, and high limit, removed the cover, and then dried and cleaned it out. The boiler works well now, but I didn't mark the knobs when I took them off, thinking that they were somehow keyed to go on only one way. Turns out the shafts were just splined, so the knobs could go on any old way. So I played around, and watched the operation of the boiler, and got the low and high limit knobs sort of close to where I think they belong. Is there an easy way to line them up?

Here is how I think the relay works - please correct me if I'm wrong. I have a tankless water heater.... with no call for heat, it seems to cycle on low limit to turn on, and off by the differential setting. With a call for heat it will turn on at low limit, and off at high limit. That's how it seems to work, but if someone could tell me how it really functions, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you, Rob

Comments

• Rob_31
    Options
    Honeywell L8148 Aquastat

Hello. I had a pipe leak water into my Aquastat relay, and it tripped the breaker on the furnace. I took the knobs off the low, and high limit, removed the cover, and then dried and cleaned it out. The boiler works well now, but I didn't mark the knobs when I took them off, thinking that they were somehow keyed to go on only one way. So I played around, and watched the operation of the boiler, and got the low and high limit knobs sort of close to where I think they belong. Is there an easy way to line them up?

Here is how I think the relay works - please correct me if I'm wrong. I have a tankless water heater.... with no call for heat, it seems to cycle on low limit to turn on, and off by the differential setting. With a call for heat it will turn on at low limit, and off at high limit. That's how it seems to work, but if someone could tell me how it really functions, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you, Rob
  • Alan R. Mercurio_3
    Alan R. Mercurio_3 Member Posts: 1,620
    Options

Rob, I know this is not going to be the answer you want to hear but for your safety please consider theses words come from the heart of a professional.

If the control has been subject to water damage it should be replaced the safety, accuracy and reliability of the control is no longer guaranteed nor should it be expected.

I understand it may be working now but please for your and your family’s safety get the control replaced.

Best of luck to you.

Your friend in the industry,
    Alan R. Mercurio

www.oiltechtalk.com

Alan R. Mercurio

www.oiltechtalk.com
  • Rob_31
    Options

Ok, thanks. I'll replace it.
  • Rob_31
    Options
    Thanks

Thank you for the reply. I will get it replaced.

• Alan R. Mercurio_3
    Alan R. Mercurio_3 Member Posts: 1,620
    Options

You're very welcome and thank you for understanding my concern.

Alan R. Mercurio

www.oiltechtalk.com

Alan R. Mercurio

www.oiltechtalk.com
This discussion has been closed.