Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Two Piped steam

Options
Jim Pompetti
Jim Pompetti Member Posts: 552
I'm presently working on a two pipe system,There are not any orfices or traps on the system,which is dry. The system is noisy,but there are many other problems,that could be causing the hammer.Should I install traps on each of the radiators and if so how are they sized.

Comments

• Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    Jim, if you don't see orifice plates

the orificing function is built into the rad supply valves. There has to be a way of keeping steam out of the dry return, and if there are no traps, checks or water seals, it has to be supply orifices.

If steam is entering the dry return, try switching to a Vaporstat to lower the pressure.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • clean boiler?

Hi Jim,

How is the water quality? Any chance of oil or impurities on the waterline causing wet steam. That can get a little noisy.

When in the cycle does the hammering occur? Beginning, middle or end of the run can tell us a lot about why it is happening. Review pages 114 to 123 of my Field Guide to get some more ideas on what might be causing the hammering. I know you have a copy.

I would agree with Frank, balance is in the supply valves. Are they originals or replacements? If one or two have been replaced and don't have an internal balance adjustment, then steam might be pushing through those radiators into the dry return.

I would stay away from installing the traps until the noise issue is resolved. The system has been operating for 80 plus years without them, we should be able to make it go another quiet 80.

Best regards, Pat
  • Doug Oest
    Doug Oest Member Posts: 34
    Options
    Replacement Valves

Hey guys, I'm currently working on a Trane system (see Vapor System) that might have these "special handled" valves that Dan mentions in Lost Art on page 246. Do they sell replacements for these still?
This discussion has been closed.