Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Asbestos Coated Boiler

I have an old coal converted Burnham boiler with a modern Beckett Burner. The boiler is covered with asbestos. The asbestos is in good shape. I covered it with glass wettable cloth. That said, it is still an inefficient heating system and I am considering replacing it. Since my wife is concerned about asbestos (her sister had asbestos related cancer), I am considering leaving the old boiler (disconnected) and have a new one put next to it. Can I put the new boiler fairly close to the old one? I am in the planning stage right now, and I know that if I sell my house one day, I will have to get rid of the asbestos. I'd rather not deal with that at the moment.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,517

Yes, you can leave it there knowing you will have to deal with it someday. However you will have to have some of the asbestoes removed from the piping so that the new boiler can be connected.

Since some asbestoes will have to be removed, you may be better off having it all removed now due to the cost of containment and and set-up which is a large portion of the removal job.

Ask around and get a few quotes from reliable asbestoes removal companys.

ED
  • Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
    bE DONE WITH IT

why leave a headache for yourself or another family member. Out with it. Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Finite Guy,

I'm gonna go with Mad Dog on this one.

We both know that it ain't gonna get any less expensive, thus, I would spring for an all or nothing approach.

It may not look good according to the numbers right now, but think long term. If you ever decide or are forced to sell your home, the price will suffer GREATLY. Your home, in most cases is your biggest investment. Please think about it as just that...don't turn it into a liability. JMHO. Chris
This discussion has been closed.