Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New AC System for Addition

Options
rickgreg
rickgreg Member Posts: 4
Greetings.... I was sent here by the BreakTime crowd. I look forward to your thoughts...

We're adding approx 700 sq ft to the 2nd floor of our existing colonial (actually adding a 2nd floor over garage and other space). Existing house has CA, but the system does not have enough capacity to handle the new space (and system is less than 10 years old).

Heat is hot water baseboards (for new and old sections).

We will be looking to add a new AC zone for the new space. I plan to start talking to HVAC contractors soon. Does anyone have any thoughts to help educate me on best current options for this kind of job. (House is in Connecticut; exposures are east, north and west.)

Let me know if more info is needed. Many thanks!

Comments

• Michal
    Michal Member Posts: 213
    Options
    IDEAS

well its hard to say without knowing how the 700sf is being split up, if its a single room I would look into The Mitsubishi Mr slim series wall mounted DUCTLESS split systems. Your looking at like a 1.5 to 2 ton unit probobly. They are fairly affordable and mount high on a wall, You can put 2 indoor units on one condenser when sized properly. You might also consider a high velocity system like a "Unico system" which uses small 2" ducts and 2" circles in ceilings, and even comes with a optional coil for heating. not noisey considering its high pressure and velocity, I have installed a few in westchester area.
  • jim lockard
    jim lockard Member Posts: 1,059
    Options
    Where is existing air handler

Basement, attic, or crawl? How well does the existing system cool the home? Have you done a heat loss/cooling gain on the entire home? I understand that you want to try and save what you have But you may find that the best is to properly design a system to serve the enlarged area. One day you may look back and say I have a worn out 20 year old system that needs to be merged in to my 10 year old system that never really worked. Best Wishes J.Lockard
  • rickgreg
    Options
    More info...

Thanks Mike and Jim.

The addition is broken into office/MBR/bath. I agree Hydro Air may make the most sense. I think my builder hasn't done one, therefore hasn't recommended it. That's one of the reasons I'm working with him to ID other options.

Air handler is in the attic, and does a good job cooling whole house now.
  • STEVEN MARKS
    STEVEN MARKS Member Posts: 154
    Options

Where in CT are you??
  • Michal
    Michal Member Posts: 213
    Options
    TO BE HONEST

IF THATS THE CASE, i WOULD DO A SEPERATE SYSTEM WITH THE THERMOSTAT SET IN THE MBR. AND BALANCE THE SYSTEM ACCORDINGLY. HYDRO AIR IS NOT HARD TO DO, REALLY SIMPLE SINCE HE WILL HAVE THE WALLS OPEN, JUST NEEDS ANOTHER ZONE ON BOILER AND CIRCULATOR, BESIDES THAT i HAVE NO OTHER IDEAS. LOOK AT THE MR SLIMS, YOU CAN DO ONE FOR OFFICE AND ONE FOR BEDROOM, THEY ALSO HAVE CEILING UNITS THAT ARE 4'x2' AND WORK WELL TOO.
  • rickgreg
    Options
    Farmington, CT

Farmington. I also replied by email to your Hartford.edu address.
This discussion has been closed.