Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Has anyone used EcoFlex by Uponor?

Tom_35
Tom_35 Member Posts: 265
We are looking at tying 2 boilers together that are currently on opposite ends of a 17,000 square foot home. The only way that we can access the two is through trenching outside the home.

We found this product at the ISH/RPA Show in Boston. Is there any experience from any on the Wall?

By the way, it is Ecoflex Thermo Twin and is rated for outdoor boiler and furnace applications.

Thanks,

Tom A

Comments

• It ain't no garden hose!

What's in a name? >Eco-Flex< Economical? It's price was shockingly expensive. Flexible? This product is NOT as flexible as I was lead to believe it is.

I recently used 3/4" Thermo-Twin for a similar situation as you describe. We ran 85 feet of it in a trench outside and around the house to the new addition's remote RFH manifold. The house was slab on grade.

When you order it make sure you order only what you need. It's worth the extra $ to have them custom cut it for you in MN and it takes only a couple days more than their "job ready" packs. Whatever you do, don't get caught short either. Uncoil the stuff as soon as you get it out on the job and let it lay out (straight as you can) for a couple of days or so. You will need to use somethings that are "really heavy" to keep this stuff down. It's not a lot of fun. Bring AT LEAST two other burly men with you when the time comes to work with this stuff. Trust me! It lifted me off the ground a few times.

If you have to dig under any stem walls, be prepared for the maximun bend radius. This radius will be hard to achieve.

The overall quality of the system is top notch. I'd use it again because it's a thermally efficient package but, I don't look forward to that day.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • jerry scharf_2
    jerry scharf_2 Member Posts: 414
    and how on the price

I assumed the eco was for ecological, it sure couldn't be for economical. Price quotes run between $15 and $40 per foot! Saw a sample on one of my saleperson's desk. Asked him what people thought who installed it. He said he couldn't tell me, as the company had never sold any.

Hot Rod's idea of using 4" pvc pipe/foam insulation system isn't cheap at about $6 per foot, but it looks like a steal in comparison. I've thought about splitting some cheap 4" corrogated drain pipe longwise, laying and supporting the tubing in the half shell, then go at it with a polyurethane froth pack. If I do that' I'll let you know how it turns out.

jerry
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,661
    Costs....

Class 1 stainless chimney also sells for $30-$50. per lineal foot. It's made for a certain purpose and has a certain cost. I've used EccoFlex many times and while I pay more for the piping system, It is designed for permanent use without worry. When you truly consider the labor costs of making up your own URD piping system, it will cost more than the EccoFlex, and not offer the same R values.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Pricy but Good.

Jerry, I really don't know if it is ecologically friendly either? It most certainly is a permanent product as Paul says. I also looked into building my own (site fabricated) URD piping system. I found that it didn't make any sense to me after all things were considered.

I would highly recommend that the use of this product for the application Tom describes. I only warn that it has been my experience that this stuff can be very difficult to work with. I suspect that it is more Flexible in warm weather. When we used it it was cool (mid 20ºs.)

• Ted_9
    Ted_9 Member Posts: 1,718

Can you describe this pipe to me? What are the applications?

PATRIOT HEATING & COOLING, INC.

• Ted,

It's PEX A tubing with insulation. Follow this link: http://www.ecoflex.com/en/index.html

BTW, I understand you now use the Rhomar. I'm glad to have pointed you twards George. Good stuff huh?

• hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    I use the

stuff Jerry mentioned. Generally 3",it will handle two 1" PAP a 3/4" and a couple 1/2". www.insul-seal.com

The beauty of Insul-Seal is you can remove and reinstall the tube or add tubes if needed.

It is glued together and has a waterproof covering. We use it for outdoor boiler and running heast lines under garage slabs. About 5 bucks for 3" schedule 40. Add another couple bucks a foot for the pex and it's a pretty good bargin.

I seen all types of attempts at wrapping pex and putting it in that flexible corragated drain pipe. Get some help and plan on plenty of trash talking :)

hot rod

• Keith_8
    Keith_8 Member Posts: 399
    ecoflex

We used the ecoflex for a chilled water application. We located (2) 10 ton chillers about 100' away from the main house. I thought the product was well worth the price. You couldn't ask for an easier installation.

We ordered (2)125' coils of 2" ID ecoflex. unrolled it on the side of the trench and pushed it in. A little tough but 3 guys made short work of it.

Keith
This discussion has been closed.