Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

NY Plumbing Licence

Options
Pety Boy
Pety Boy Member Posts: 3
Can someone please tell me how you apply for a plumbing licence in NY.

Comments

• bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    Options
    n.y. lic.

new york city lic. contact bldg. dept. prove seven yrs. ex. + take simple test. n.y.s. probably a bit easier.
  • Michal
    Michal Member Posts: 213
    Options
    my understanding

my understanding, you need to work with a licensed plumber, get your journeymans license/card, work 4 more years then apply think its total of 7 years, and I think they want to see the w-2's to prove it, not 100% sure. Call the state licensing dept, or your local municipality?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    7 years

yes, 7 years min on the books and a ton of knowledge.. as for the journeyman card, that is only given to someone who has completed the plumbers local union #1 apprenticeship like myself but has nothing at all to do with obtaining your license.. if you are interested in info on getting your licence, search the web for emanuelle troise.. he offers the best class for people going for their license.. best of luck to you.. mike
  • Glen
    Glen Member Posts: 855
    Options
    transfers -

does UA Local 1 allow transfers from sister locals? Even if a test was required - it might not be a bad idea.
  • Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
    Options
    you are all correct

And Manny Troise is thee teacher for the NYC exam. However, Nys is huge and most towns and villages have their own license. Nassau County for ex. has almost 200 towns and villlages. Most reciprocate w/eachother, but it is a filing nightmare. Decide where you will live and have the busniess, then go to that municipality. Good luck because I know of many who have tried to bring w-2s and proof of time worked from other areas of the State (even!) and the licensing boards won't honor them.. They want time served in the general area. Friends who have gone out of state in hopes of starting a new business have had the same problem although I've heard in Florida...anything goes. Don't make any bold moves until you do your homework. I know Westechester has a county lic, and maybe some small upstate towns. NassaU and Suffolk are trying to do it, but the jury is still out. Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • singh
    singh Member Posts: 866
    Options

NYC needs lic and surrounding areas have diierent requirements.
    Several years after I finished my appenticeship at Local # 1, I moved upstate NY ,when I went on my own ,the county building enforcer looked at me like I had two heads,when I asked about lic. req.
    There is none!!
    Imagine the stuff I see.
  • JohnNY8
    JohnNY8 Member Posts: 33
    Options
    Simple test?

Simple test?
    When I got my license 5 years ago. There were 2500 applicants.
    The first of three parts was a written exam concerning NYC code. It eliminated half of the applicants.
    It takes several months to find out whether or not you’ve been eliminated, so you wait to be notified.
    My group-studying sessions with fellow plumbers paid off, because everyone in our group passed.

The second part of the test, the "practical" exam, required 4-6 months of training and about $4000 in class fees and test-prep materials.

That is widely recognized as one of the trade's most difficult licensing exams in the country and is the last practical exam given in New York City.

About 35 people got past the practical exam.

Waiting for NYC to grade the exams takes about 3-4 months. A lot of waiting.

Then that letter comes in the mail that you’re afraid to open.
    My wife opened mine, then there was much rejoicing.

A few months later, you are invited to take the final part of the exam: Plan reading. It is by far, the simplest part and most everyone passes.

When that’s over, you have to go to 1 Center Street to be fingerprinted, two other buildings in downtown NYC to fill out papers, and finally to the building department to prove you are incorporated (it takes forever) and you sign an ancient book in a space next to a number that is yours for the rest of your life.

The year I got my license, 27 other people got theirs.

That’s 28 out of 2500 or something like 1%.

Few people pass it their first time out and it is an incredibly frustrating process.
    It is so stressful that if I had not passed it the first time, I might not have taken it a second time.

On a side note, not one of the architects or engineers in my class passed the test.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Moses
    Moses Member Posts: 93
    Options
    NYC License

John what's your license #? Mine is 1120. I got mines in '89. We had to do wipeing joint, which today you don't have to do it anymore. It took me 2 years and about $8,000.00 to $10,000.00

Moses
  • JohnNY8
    Options
    Lic. 1784

Mine is 1784. I was the second group with the new test. My brother and father (lic. 399) both did the wiping exam.
    I regret not taking the same test as them but mine was tough enough.
    Thank goodness that's over, huh?

• bob young
    Options
    NYC LIC.

John, the simple test remark was actually tongue in cheek. the lead i wiped 25 years ago to qualify was most probably the toughest day of my life. bob young n.y.c. lic. # 685
  • JohnNY8
    Options
  • Boiler Guy
    Boiler Guy Member Posts: 585
    Options
    John

If you ever had the experience of wiping a joint .... you quickly find out how easy it really can be to be "in over your head". Hey wipers, what procedure did they actually require for your test?
  • bob young
    Options
    NYC PLBG. TEST PROCEDURE 1979

PROCEDURE INCLUDED FULL 4 " VERTICAL WIPED JOINT, 2 " VENT BRANCH JOINT 4 " CLOSET FLANGE FLOATED WITH 50-50 WARRENTED BAR SOLDER AND HATCHET IRON. 4 " HORIZOPNTAL CAULKED JOINT-LEAD AND OKUM. ALL IN STRICT ACCORDANCE WITH N.Y.C. CODE REGULATIONS OR IMMEDIATE FAILURE. AND FIGHTING THE CLOCK ALL THE WAY. 8 HOURS WORK TO BE DONE IN ALLOTED 4.5 HRS. IF YOU DID NOT HAVE THE DESIRE , YOU WOULD NEVER MAKE IT.
  • Boiler Guy
    Boiler Guy Member Posts: 585
    Options
    I think

that is what my Dad called a "triple tree", if I understand you correctly. He taught me to make peened flange on a wiped 4" toilet long bend with a 2" Y off one side for the tub off of which was a 2 X 1-1/2 X 1-1/4"Y to pick up the basin and an 1-1/2 Y off the other side for the kitchen. Now that was more than a days work for a rank amateur!!! I can remember 24" horizontal lead/oakum joints with running ropes and 15lbs of lead per pour. Don't really miss them "good ole days" but it is fun to reminisce.
  • Moses
    Moses Member Posts: 93
    Options
    NYC License

Here is some interesting tidbid information about NYC. Most license # are 3, or 4, Digits. Those old timers that have 5 digits, are not issued by the DOB, they were issued the Depatment Of Health. I personaly think that, since License Plumbers protects the nations HEALTH, it should still be issued by the DOH.

Moses
This discussion has been closed.