Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

boiler replacment

Options
wolf-36
wolf-36 Member Posts: 2
Hello, I have a small water puddle under my boiler. I'ts a Weil-McLain CGM-5, 140,000 input. This is not from any of the external connections, it is from the inside of the boiler. I have 5 active zones working on this unit in a 3 floor house. I'm thinking of replacing this unit with a slightly larger unit as it did tend to run often in very cold nights. Any input as to how long a boiler lasts, and what brands you would use and also avoid? What type of maintenace do boilers need, as I'm seeing scale removers and other additives to put into the lines. Where do you inject these additives? Also all zone valves are working, but should I replace these also at this time? And last whats the best way to get all the water out the lines before I solder? Thanks, Wolf

Comments

• Ken_8
    Ken_8 Member Posts: 1,640
    Options
    I would pull the jacket off and dbl check...

It is very rare indeed for a W/M CGM to leak internally. It may be a poorly installed plug in an unused tapping, or something equally inoccous. Pull the top off and look down inside - or pull out the burner racks and stick a light and mirror on a 45° angle and see if it is actually the block, from the bottom up. If so, it may still be under warranty!

Unless your boiler ran for 24 hours straight during the coldest day this past winter, it is too big - not too small!

I strongly urge you to use the "Find A Professional" box dead center atop this page. Plug in your zip code and have an expert scope this out. Almost all the guys here are straight arrows. If you don't need a new boiler they'll say so. If you do, they'll jump though hoops to give you agreta job at minimal expense.

Check it out.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Chuckles_3
    Chuckles_3 Member Posts: 110
    Options

Properly sized boilers are SUPPOSED TO "run often on very cold nights". What's the problem if it is able to heat the house in all weather? Would you not buy a car because the engine runs all the time when you drive it?

If you have a water leak, this needs to be located and fixed.
This discussion has been closed.