Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

grey plastic ?

Options
I think it is quest pipe

Comments

• pete_14
    pete_14 Member Posts: 9
    Options
    grey plastic

can anyone give me info on a grey plastic water pipe with gold lettering. looks alot like polybutalyne but its 1/2". was installed about 1987 along with a heatmaker.house located in southern rhode island. I have leak in crawl space were it connects to copper and need to fix. if can't get part have to repace entire pipe , thanks
  • Boston Boiler
    Boston Boiler Member Posts: 70
    Options
    anything here help?

The Cox vs. Shell settlement involves certain polybutylene plumbing systems installed between January 1, 1978 and July 31, 1995. Claimants may be eligible for a replacement of their plumbing system at no charge and/or a leak expense reimbursement if they qualify. Claimant must presently own or have previously owned a home plumbed with a polybutylene plumbing system and they must have experienced a qualifying leak. Claimant can complete a claim eligibility form on line at www.pbpipe.com or request a claim eligibility form from by calling 1-800-392-7591 or by writing to the Consumer Plumbing Recovery Center (CPRC) at PO Box 869006, Plano, TX 75086-9006. The CPRC will review the form and determine the claimant’s eligibility. For more details visit www.pbpipe.com
  • John Felciano
    John Felciano Member Posts: 411
    Options
    Quest

Sounds like Quest.

Boston Boiler has some good info on the class action lawsuit.From what I've seen most of the problems have been with the fittings,not the pipe.

I believe Wirsbo offers a transition fitting (at least they used to) To adapt from quest to PEX but you will need a crimp tool and rings for the Quest side.There used to be alot of old quest stuff floating around e-bay.Haven't checked lately.
  • Boston Boiler
    Boston Boiler Member Posts: 70
    Options

Quest would be my quess also but I couldn't say for sure. Quest is also mention in the Cox vs. Shell article I posted.
    Pete should be able to check with those sites or numbers to identify his pipe.

BB
  • curiousity kills
    curiousity kills Member Posts: 118
    Options
    grey pipe

Hey pete you do no have to replace the entire pipe you can buy quest to copper adapters at most plumbing suppley houses .This pipe is in many mobile homes. Good luck
  • pete_14
    pete_14 Member Posts: 9
    Options
    grey plastic

I don't think its cpvc because its thin wall and very flexible.many similarities to pex,no supply houses near me have it or info on it. think I might have found misc. fittings at local hardware store appreciate the input, thanks
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    Sure does sound like

PB. What does the lettering say? Name, listing data, or numbers? Generally this info was printed every foot or so. If it is Vanguard it would have a ASTM D-3309, SDR-11, NSF, and depending on the model (Thermoguard was most common for H&C pipe) it could have a CTS-OD label. Basically a copper tube size OD indication. It often had footage markings also.

Most PB had black, red, or blue lettering as I recall. They did private label plenty and this could indicate the gold lettering.

Sioux Chief still offers brass and copper PB fittings, I have a stash if you only need one. The pex crimp rings will work as PB and pex were generally the same OD. PB has a larger ID due to the thinner wall. A pex crimp tool will work, by the way, if you chose to crimp back.

In a bind I have seen plenty of PB repairs with basic stainless steel hose clamps. The fittings, if copper or brass, rarely failed and should be reuseable. If it is a grey plastic acetal fitting best get a brass or copper relacement.

You may still find some compression style fittings around also. A common brass compression coupling will work IF you use a plastic ferrule and the brass insert to keep the tube from crushing. I'd stay away from grey plastic fittings shown here :)

Make sure you don't have a strain or misalignment problem or the problem may reoccur.

It's the chlorine, and constant circ DHW systems that did in the PB. I understand PB is still used in other countries where chlorine is not used. Plenty of PB still used in Great Britian from the web surfing I have done.

Hope this helps.

If it is grey, thick, hard and thick walled sounds like someone use PVC electricial condiut :) This cannot and should not be used in potable water systems!

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • John Conway
    John Conway Member Posts: 64
    Options
    quest

I agree - sounds like Quest. Wouldn't use it again, but it actually has been VERY reliable in our fishing cabin. I guess I put it in 15-20 yeas ago. (Can it be that long ago?) Various weirdnesses in a funky old place made it appealing. Zero problems to date. I remember cranking way down on the fittings with vice grips - much more than recommended. My recollection is that the fitting problems involved fittings slowly loosening and leaking. Again, this is NOT a recommendation of the original product; but you might find a couple of vice grips fix a leak problem....
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    quick fix with stainless steel hose clamps...

fastest thing to find ...your not the only person to ever use a hose clamp with the pipe you mention...the fittings hot rod pictured for you can still be found in like ACE hardwares stores ...they are slightly different from the older fittings however they are every bit as much of a home owner quick fix for the tubing. i think the new variety has "T's" L's couplings,adaptors and transition fittings... Good Luck.
This discussion has been closed.