Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

The Kriebel System??????????

PG
PG Member Posts: 128
Does anyone have any experience or knowledge they can pass along about this system? Just installed a new boiler with this system in place. I read page 260 in Lost Art Of Steam Heat, but still having problems. Are there any other sites online that might go into more depth on this system?

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    You have to run it

on a vaporstat, and you may have to adjust the bimetal air vent in the basement. You do that by turning the knob at its end. Other than that, it's a pretty simple vapor system. What sort of problems are you having?
    Retired and loving it.
  • PG
    One problem there is no adjustment..............

I did install a vaporstat. It is set at 12 main and 6 on the diff. The boiler is short cycling, it runs for less then a minute then kicks back on in about 15 seconds and keeps doing this. I found Kriebel stamped on a big old "thing", looks like a trap to me. Two dry returns are piped into opposite sides of it, and it has two large air vents on top (like oil cans), the return comes out of the bottom which I piped into the wet return. This "thing" is just above the boiler. The long "thing" ain't there, hence no adjustment. Not sure if it was there before or not. The boiler we replaced was not the original, but it sure was a crap install. Had copper pipe, bullheaded, etc. And get this, it had an aquastat piped into the top of one of the MM low water cutoffs! Have no idea what for but I saved this goofy setup. I do think one part of the wet return is clogged which I think I've finally convinced the customer was mosttly preexisting (hence an extra). We did have the gas pressure down near 2 and it wasn't short cycling. Burnham told me it has to be at 3.5. I also have a couple radiators not heating that customer insists were working before. They are located in the area of the possibly blocked return. In a nut shell I'm a bit stumped. Ever visit Detroit Dan?
  • DanHolohan
    Remove

those two large air vents and see if the short-cycling stops. If it does, then you know the air vents aren't doing their job. Replace them with some good high-capacity main vents, like the Gorton #2.
    Retired and loving it.
  • PG
    air vents

I will try replace them, they are definetly old. But they sure sound like they are working on the srartup.
  • DanHolohan
    Try removing them while you're there,

and just watch the system with the vents removed.
    Retired and loving it.
  • We installed this boiler

last year - the old one dry fired . We teed in the old Kreibel vent with 2 main vents , but the old trombone didn't work . If you can read the gauge , the boiler was working in a vacuum .

Jalcoplumb was kind enough to share original blueprints of a Kriebel system . If you go to this thread , you can take a look . http://forums.invision.net/Index.cfm?CFApp=2&Message_ID=14947
This discussion has been closed.