Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

tekmar RTU stats, options?

Options
Steve Eayrs
Steve Eayrs Member Posts: 424
The standard RTU (is it the 052 or 54?), operates on ohms of resistance, not just a simple on off switch, but actually telling the tekmar control what the real temp. is out there. A standard thermostat is not near as sensitive. The RTU's are reading to the 10th of a deg., and not swinging things 3 deg. like most regular thermostats.

If you give the technical info to the home owner and sell him on the difference between these and most others, he may choose high tech over looks.

If he has to have something he can play with, you could use the tekmar (I think its the 510, 511, 512, or is that wirsbo numbers?). BUT you would need 2 pair of wires to power the 24V and send the signal back, and they would not run directly to the Tekmar control, but a zone control, (say taco zone control), and then send a simple on off signal (external heat demand) to the tekmar. They work nice but not as nice as the regular old RTU. I believe that these are the stats that Tim is talking about in his message.
Hope this helps.

Steve

Comments

• Bill N.
    Bill N. Member Posts: 18
    Options
    What options do I have for tekmar RTU's?

Just put in a tekmar control (actually Burnham EC5000) and the HO hates the little ugly RTU thermostats. Does anybody have any options for me? I would love to find a kit to use a normal thermostat (so I can use the same stat for A/C) in place of the thermister RTU. Anbbody here with tekmar expierence?

As an aside, the Burnhame Revolution worked GREAT right out of the box. Everything worked right, chekcout was just that, checkout. Nothing to adjust, boiler went in great. As proud as I am of my work, I wouldn't post it here, no diamond plate or race car emblems. Just pipe and valves.

Thanks,
    Bill N.
  • tim smith_2
    tim smith_2 Member Posts: 184
    Options
    stat option

What about tekmars new digital thermostat that will control radiant, a/c and optional slab sensor.
  • hydronicsmike
    hydronicsmike Member Posts: 855
    Options
    Bill...

...You should het a hold of Glen Stanton at Burnham. He'll tell you. But I think you may have to use either the 054 or 055 RTUs with this Control there. Those are the only options.

Its important to understand that the RTUs are thermistor type sensors and not Switches like ordinary thermostats, as explained by the fine gentlemen here.
  • RTU's

Mike is right. The RTU's used with the EC5000 Energy Control are only compatible with Tekmar 054 and 055 RTU's.
    If you are looking for something that resembles a normal thermostat with a dial and indicated temperature, the 055 is the one. Normal thermostats can't be used with these controls.The EC5000 model is also only for heating zones. Cooling would have to be controlled in another manner. The 055 can be viewed at the link below under the Miscellaneous Products tab. Hope this helps.

http://www.tekmarcontrols.com/products.html

Glenn Stanton

Burnham Hydronics
This discussion has been closed.