To get email notification when someone adds to a thread you're following, click on the star in the thread's header and it will turn yellow; click again to turn it off. To edit your profile, click on the gear.
The Wall has a powerful search engine that will go all the way back to 2002. Use "quotation marks" around multiple-word searches. RIGHT-CLICK on the results and choose Open Link In New Window so you'll be able to get back to your results. Happy searching!
In fairness to all, we don't discuss pricing on the Wall. Thanks for your cooperation.

converting inches water column to psi

smooresmoore Posts: 28Member
When dealing with gas preasures how do you convert inches water column to psi?
· ·

Comments

• FloydFloyd Posts: 52Member
    2000 International fuel gas code book....

> _A

> HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=

> 169&Step=30"_To Learn More About This Contractor,

> Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A

> Contractor"_/A_

· ·
  • FloydFloyd Posts: 52Member
    2000 International fuel gas code book...

page 106.....

27.7 in. H2O = 1 psi.
    · ·
  • LarryLarry Posts: 86Member
    Roughly 28\"= 1 PSI

Best I can come up with is a mult. to convert 1 foot of water to psi. Feet of water x 0.4335= PSI. I divided .4335 by 12 (in per ft) for a mult. of .036125. So, inches of water x 0.03625 = PSI. 1 (PSI)/0.036125=27.682...roughly 28".

Larry
    · ·
  • canuckDalecanuckDale Posts: 77Member
    Hmmm....When in Rome

I've always used 27.8. Have read 28.8.

Guess it depends whether the code author resided in a costal place (sea level) or a mountainous place?

Just like it affects those darn gas orifices. Oh I have a story to tell over a campfire and some libations about a boiler company in Ohio and a delivery in Alberta Canada. ;-)

I live at 3500' above sea level.
    · ·
  • coreycorey Posts: 45Member
    Temp is a factor

Temperature is a factor depending upon precision needed:
    1 lbf/square inch (PSI) = 27.707591 inch H2O (60 F)
    1 lbf/square inch (PSI) = 27.680671 inch H2O (39.2 F)

Also, molarity:
    1 foot H2O (39.2 F) = 0.974191 foot seawater

See http://www.onlineconversion.com/pressure.htm
    · ·
  • JimGPEJimGPE Posts: 240Member

Don't listen to Larry - I think he's thinkin' ounces. (Sorry, Larry....)
    · ·
  • To coreysnow from joe

Your equation of 0.974191 ft/seawater only holds true for measurements taken from the North Atlantic or Adriatic Sea. You would have to make a correction factor for readings taken from the Great Salt Lake, the Dead Sea, or the Caspian Sea. The converse holds true for the brackish waters that contain less salt than the aforementioned. Pi-delta-t has to be factored into it. Or square the difference between the densities. Hopes this helps!
    · ·
  • To coreysnow from joe

Your equation of 0.974191 ft/seawater only holds true for measurements taken from the North Atlantic or Adriatic Sea. You would have to make a correction factor for readings taken from the Great Salt Lake, the Dead Sea, or the Caspian Sea. The converse holds true for the brackish waters that contain less salt than the aforementioned. Pi-delta-t has to be factored into it. Or square the difference between the densities. Hopes this helps!
    · ·
  • Dave FloodDave Flood Posts: 14Member

one pound of pressure will raise a column of water 27.7 inches high. We measure most residential and light commercial gas sysems in water column. Most LP systems operate at 11" wc. Most natural gas sysems work at 3.5 " wc.

Dave Flood
    Director of Tech Ed
    ICPA
    Wallingford, Ct
    · ·
This discussion has been closed.

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!