Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Smart Valve sv9501 problem?

I have a tempstar Furnace model NTC6075FBA1 with a smart valve SV9501.

The problem I am having is the igniter will not heat up as well there is no gas for the pilot light. I have ohm the igniter cold (4.3 ohms). There is constitant 29 VAC thru all of the system and igniter. Or is 29 to high?

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Do you have a spare igniter? If so removed the old one from the valve, plug the spare in its place hold it with some pliers and turn the system on if it glows then you need to replace the old igniter.
  • hvacwantobe
    hvacwantobe Member Posts: 3
    No spare parts. Just test the ohms and volts in and out
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,060
    FWIW, I have 2 of those "smart valve" HSI on the shelf. When I get them new I check the ohms. Both are 5 ohms....I don't know if that .7 ohms would be a problem or not.
    Do you have that 24-29 VAC at the valve where the HSI plugs in?
    There is a warm up time before the pilot valve opens....longer than you think if you are watching it.

A word of caution: some Smart valves would fail by opening the main valve with the pilot valve.....if the HSI were glowing the sudden/delayed ignition would usually knock out the entire flame and try again.....so if you wait for the pilot gas it is possible to get the main valve also.....a good shot of gas but shut off because of no flame sensed.
  • hvacwantobe
    hvacwantobe Member Posts: 3
    I 29 vac everywhere there is power. I waited about 4 min and never got it to glow. Nor any gas. I think I found a used valve I can use to test. Should know in a day or so
  • Tim McElwain
    If you have 24 volts at the valve were the two blue wires connect and the unit is not working then the combination igniter sensor needs replaced.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,060
    Getting a new HSI/sensor will be much less grief than changing the gas valve with a questionable history. Also there are a large variety of HW Smartvalves that are not interchangeable. FWIW
  • Tim McElwain
    If you give me the full number of the Smart Valve I can cross reference it for you. That is if you insist on replacing the valve. There are all different kinds of Smart Valves so it is not one replaces all.