Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Central Heating / Combi Boiler Controls Confusion

jet1990
jet1990 Member Posts: 3
Hi,

I have just moved into a new flat which has a central heating system I can't get to work correctly.

It has a standard combi boiler with traditional dial manual thermostat. However it also has a digital aube programmable thermostat. I have attached pictures of the 3.

I have programmed the digital thermostat but can't see to work out what settings to put the combi boiler on & traditional thermostat. At the moment I have put all the timer bits on to boiler in to on, set it to timed and manual thermostat at 20. But this seems to be putting the heating on permanently. If I turn the dial thermostat off, the heating doesn't come on.

Any ideas what settings I should use?

Thanks

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,177
    "If I turn the dial thermostat off, the heating doesn't come on". Doesn't come on at all, or comes on at the Aube's set point?

First a caution: I suspect, from the looks of them, that these are line voltage thermostats. Unless you know what you are doing around power electricity, don't mess with them. If you do, take the usual precautions -- including disconnecting power to them before you play with connections, and verifying (with a test light) that the power really is off.

That said...

First thing to do. Disconnect the Aube, and see if the manual thermostat works as it is supposed to. If it doesn't -- that is, it always calls for heat, whatever it is set to, it's not working properly. On the other hand, if it is working properly, you've at least got that. Leave it disconnected for the moment.

Now the Aube. Make sure that all your options on it are set properly. You don't mention a floor sensor, so I assume you don't have one. You don't mention the model. The TH115 model has a configuration for "A", "AF", or "F". That must be set to "A" if there is no floor sensor. Most of the other options are pretty harmless. Check and see if it turns the heat on when you raise the setpoint (there may be a significant time delay) -- and off again when you lower it (again, there may be a time delay).

That's as far as I can get on what you've written...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Is that Drayton t-stat for a fan of some sort?
  • hvacfreak2
    hvacfreak2 Member Posts: 500
    I'm going to guess that the stat with the shudder doors is the master controller that has to call for heat ( maybe a hold or over ride feature is available ) . This may enable the other controllers to do , ... whatever it is that they do ?
    hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Burnham MST 396 , 60 oz gauge , Tigerloop , Firomatic Check Valve , Mcdonnell Miller 67 lwco , Danfoss RA2k TRV's

Easyio FG20 Controller

• jet1990
    Hi Guys thanks for the input.
    Jamie to answer some of the info I missed, the dial thermostat works correctly along with the combi boiler. It would go on and off as requested and at the temperature set on the dial. That is with the aube turned off at the wall.
    With the dial thermostat off, heating doesn't come on at all regardless of Aubes set points.
    The Aube model is TH132-AF, the instructions talk about an under floor sensor but I am not certain if there is. I have programmed it correctly, but the heating for example was on during the night last night despite my final programmed time being 10pm.
    Hvacfreak2, would that suggest that having the combi boiler set to on all the time would be the right setting and the aube should override it?
    I hope that's enough info to give you an idea.
    Cheers
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,177
    The 132 AF is designed to have an underfloor sensor as well as the room temperature sensor. Check to make sure that the underfloor sensor is present and properly connected; the unit won't work properly without it.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • hvacfreak2
    Make sure that the heat / cool controller is at least in the heating mode . It may just be preventing simultaneous cooling / heating , if it is in the off or cooling mode positions it may prevent the heat from operating.
    hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Burnham MST 396 , 60 oz gauge , Tigerloop , Firomatic Check Valve , Mcdonnell Miller 67 lwco , Danfoss RA2k TRV's

Easyio FG20 Controller

• jet1990
    The underfloor sensor seems to work because temp readings feel pretty accurate. I wouldn't know where to find it tbh.

When you say heat/cool controller?
  • hvacfreak2
    It has a button in the lower right that is labeled " Mode " , but I didn't read up on that stat I may be mistaken ( it may be just a heat only stat ). If nothing else it looks like it could have a schedule. This is where you are free to say " no , it's just heating only ". Just talking , beats crickets.
    hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Easyio FG20 Controller

• GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    Is that a Bosch boiler? You're in USA? I've never seen that style of boiler interface, and I'm familiar with USA Bosch boiler. Do you have an outdoor sensor?

If you have an outdoor sensor it may be fighting your thermostat

Gary
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com