Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

copper oil supply line

Options
ewh
ewh Member Posts: 6
Sometimes it seems like the simplest questions are the hardest to find answers to with web searches....

what kind of copper tubing should be used for a 3/8 od oil supply line? 3/8 refrigeration, 1/4 type L, utility grade?
(assuming it isn't touching concrete, buried, etc.)

thanks.

Comments

• bulldoglax
    bulldoglax Member Posts: 38
    Options
    3/8 soft copper polyethylene coated
  • ewh
    Options
    does it have to be polyethylene coated if it is up off the ground?

also, i have seen it buried in a corrugated blue plastic tube. does that meet code? and if so what grade copper should be used in that tube?
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    I'd run 3/8" *ID*. Either one is soft L rolled. Sleeved or coated meets code, you're protecting from corrosion, and where it is in a traffic area it should be damage protected.
  • ewh
    Options
    okay, so type L soft copper is the stuff to use...
    just out of curiosity, why do you suggest 3/8 id?
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    Why not go the bigger size if you're going to do it. Gives more wiggle room for sludge accumulation, and reduces friction loss if it's any kind of a lift situation.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    I'd only go bigger if it's recommended by the pump manufacturer for proper sizing. Bigger can make more it harder to eliminate air, especially if it's not a gravity job.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Bob Bona_4Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Jim Hankinson
    Jim Hankinson Member Posts: 99
    Options
    Check with your local code official if this is something that will be inspected. Some jurisdictions require minimum 1/2" OD. As Steve said it can be harder to get all the air out, especially if the line goes overhead.
    Bob Bona_4
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,533
    Options
    If tubing is bought at a refrigeration supply house it will be sold as OD outside diameter size. So 3/8" od (refrigeration tubing marked ACR) is exactly the same as 1/4" L (nominal size tubing) except the nominal size plumbing tubing is not sealed and cleaned for refrigeration use. Neither one is coated for installing in concrete floors or buried.

You just need to look at the box the tubing is in . It is usually marked.
    same goes for:
    1/2" od=3/8" nominal
    5/8 od= 1/2" nominal
    3/4 od is an oddball used on refrigeration only
    7/8" od=3/4 nominal
    1 1/8" od= 1" nominal
    etc all the way up to 4 1/8 od=4" nominal

ACR=air conditioning and refrigeration tubing is the same as "L" tubing except that it has been cleaned and dehydrated
    ewh
  • ewh
    Options
    thanks for all the replies.

ebabratt-ed: that is exactly what i wanted to know. and probably why it was hard to find an answer about whether to use refrigeration or type l.

hatterasguy - I did look at the price!
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    edited March 2017
    Options
    If any physical protection is needed, I use 3/4" SCH80 electrical pvc conduit. I've had good luck pushing 3/8 ref tubing through the factory 90's of the pvc as well.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!