Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Floor heating in bedroom?

Is it true, that floor heating is not the best for bedrooms?
I heard, that floor heating hold the dust on same level where is your head when you sleep.
Zman

Comments

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Utter nonsense. However beds can reduce output of the radiant floor panel a bit. Dust seeks the lowest level in a room. Any room. Dust is human, and pet dander, carpet fiber, clothes, linens etc.
    kcoppZmanSTEVEusaPA
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    In typical bedrooms you do not have much exposed floors to enjoy the benefits of radiant floors. Beds, dressers, furniture, and often carpet limit the output of radiant.

Heat flux is the term to describe the amount of room floor space divided by any furnishings that cover the floor surface and eliminate radiant transfer to the space.

Panel radiators are nice as they can easily be zoned and offer fast start up and shut down for using temperature setback options.

Radiant ceilings and walls are other options.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    GordyPat_11
  • BillW
    BillW Member Posts: 198
    No form of heat "holds" dust anywhere. Visible dust particles settle out of the air very quickly after being disturbed by shaking out a blanket, for example. The bedroom has a lot of potential for air quality issues. Carpeting holds dust and if you have a vacuum cleaner that doesn't trap the dust particles well, it just blows them all over the place. Dead skin cells, dust mite debris, pet and human hair all can be part of the mix. Cosmetics like hair spray and face or body powder can also cause an issue. Forced air heat blows the air around thru ductwork. Visible dust particles are too heavy to ever make it to the filter or air cleaner. Smaller particles stay airborne longer and can be minimized by filters or electronic air cleaners. Microscopic dust can be picked up in the air currents that occur around radiators and convectors. Others mentioned that the furniture in a bedroom can reduce the efficiency of radiant floor heat, and that is true.
    You can minimize dust by removing carpets or rugs. Hardwood, tile or linoleum don't hold dust like rug fibers do, but can be cold underfoot unless you have in-floor heat. There are individual powered air filtration units that you can put in your bedroom to minimize the dust, but removing the source of the dust is the best way to forestall problems.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    My bedroom (house) has radiant floors 10 years now. Very comfortable. Keep my BR at 69°.
    As far as dust, there is no dust. I don't start to see dust until AC comes on during the cooling season.
    steve