Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

steam radiators

Options
HEATON
HEATON Member Posts: 118
best(in your experience) way to clean 100yr old one pipe steam radiators. Thanks for all the help in the pa

Comments

• Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Options
    I'm in the process of cleaning a 140 year old wrought iron steam radiator and I'm using a pressure washer with 3000 psi. Hard to tell how many coats of paint but it was a lot. Took 4 hours.
    Steve Minnich
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options

I'm in the process of cleaning a 140 year old wrought iron steam radiator and I'm using a pressure washer with 3000 psi. Hard to tell how many coats of paint but it was a lot. Took 4 hours.

I hope you didn't punch through anywhere @Stephen Minnich
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,673
    Options
    Fred said:

I hope you didn't punch through anywhere @Stephen Minnich
    Depends on what tip he is using, but I highly doubt even a 0 degree red tip would easily "punch through" cast iron.

If it did, the radiator is garbage anyway.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • HEATON
    Options
    Im talking about cleaning the interior of the old rads in service since 1912 on a 1 pipe steam sys. Another wet head told me if tthey arnt banging dont worry about the crud on the bottom
  • HEATON
    Options
    still looking for the source of a tank/reservior for condensate, passive, not with a pump. as shown in the piping recommendation of Williamson GSA boiler. appreciate your reply. john
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    If they were disconnected and outside, in the yard, I'd hose them out but I certainly wouldn't move them just for that. Not needed.
    MilanD
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I barely got through the paint, let alone the iron.
    Steve Minnich
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,284
    Options
    On the inside? Just hose them out. They don't need cleaning inside. Outside? I like the pressure washer if they are where you can use it. Bead blasting also works. If you are just concerned about appearance and are going to paint them anyway, elbow grease and a wire brush work wonders...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Canucker
  • Koan
    Koan Member Posts: 439
    Options
    we had a re finisher dip ours in a stripping tank
  • SteamCoffee
    SteamCoffee Member Posts: 123
    Options
    If your so inclined, electrolysis is nothing short of amazing. I had the setup and experience so the learning curve may be higher if you just starting out. The rads cam out like the just had been cast. So pretty, I almost just clear coated them bare...
  • Koan
    Options
    @SteamCoffee - I have heard of electrolysis to remove rust, you are saying that it works well on paint as well?? We have one 30 section rad to still strip, and I am trying to figure out how. I would like to hear how you did this please.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,523
    Options
    Goggle it, all kind of videos on u tube. I never used it for paint only for rust
  • SteamCoffee
    Options
    30 sections is a beast, getting it submerged would be tough. Electrolysis will remove paint and rust. Paint comes off in sheets, truly amazing. Lots of info on the internet. If you can devote the time to it, the is no better way...especially for cast iron. Good luck.
    Koan
  • Koan
    Options
    @SteamCoffee so - what I am considering is actually building a tank around the radiator. I estimate it to weigh 875 lbs, alone it is 105EDR, more than 25% of the entire heating load. We had the 10 others dipped , but the re-finisher would not take this one bc it is too heavy. The re-finisher said he feared it would remain at the bottom of his tank. Since I want to spray it to paint to match the others (3 part epoxy) , and spraying epoxy in the living room probably means certain death, I assume I will build a cart for this to get it out of the house. I was then either going to soda blast it or build an electrolysis tank around it to strip it. Any brief info you can share about the process is appreciated, I know the general concept... opposing charges on a solution electrode and the piece itself.
  • SteamCoffee
    Options
    I have done car fenders, by building a shallow plywood tank with plastic sheeting around it, anode above. My biggest rad was 5 tube Corto 38 in high. Took 12v and 11 amps DC Battery charger to get the ball rolling. About 20 hours for each one. Used Arm &Hammer washing soda as electrolyte. Lots of venting! They came out spotless. Finding detailed info is easy. Building a tank is challenging. Baby pool? Good luck, sounds like a monster rad...
    Koan