Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How "fast" is Hoffman 40 radiator air vent?

Options
lzr0
lzr0 Member Posts: 3
Hi,
Is it slow or fast? What approximate number of Hoffman 1A (adjustable) or Gorton sizes it corresponds to?
Thanks.

Comments

• Gsmith
    Gsmith Member Posts: 431
    Options
    See this excellent reference by Gerry Gill and Steven Pajek available on the System Help Center of the Main site, and at this link: https://heatinghelp.com/assets/documents/Balancing-Steam-Systems-Using-a-Vent-Capacity-Chart-1.pdf

Appears to be midway between the 2 and 3 setting on a Hoffman 1A , or mid-way between the fixed Gorton 4 and Gorton 5 vent rates.

My experience has been its a nice vent which makes balancing the radiators and room temperatures easy.
    lzr0
  • Gsmith
    Options
    Revise that last comment, I meant the Hoffman 1A makes the balancing and adjusting of room temps easy, not the #40.
    lzr0
  • lzr0
    Options
    I understood, Gary, thanks.
  • lzr0
    Options

See this excellent reference by Gerry Gill and Steven Pajek available on the System Help Center of the Main site, and at this link: https://heatinghelp.com/assets/documents/Balancing-Steam-Systems-Using-a-Vent-Capacity-Chart-1.pdf

Hi again. This chart does not list Verivalve. Do you happen to know how it compares to the slowest vents (like Gorton 4) when it is in Closed position? I am trying to find the slowest one.

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Most people tend to stay away from the Heat Timer Varivalve. They tend to spit water. The Hoffman #40/41 are about the slowest radiator/convector vent @ .042 CFM for the #40 and .058 CFM for the #41 both at 1 ounce of pressure.
    lzr0
  • Gsmith
    Options
    I thump know the Hoffman 1A variable vent at the lowest settings are about the slowest vents, I use them, and they have the advantage that you can increase the vent rate from very very slow to faster if you need to.
    lzr0
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options

I thump know the Hoffman 1A variable vent at the lowest settings are about the slowest vents, I use them, and they have the advantage that you can increase the vent rate from very very slow to faster if you need to.

That's true. :) I use them too but for the most part in the mid range. I was looking at non adjustable vents.
    Here is the venting rate for the Hoffman 1A at each setting and @ 1 Oz., 2 Oz and 3 Oz of pressure

Hoffman 1A Setting 1 0.020 0.026 0.033
    Hoffman 1A Setting 2 0.026 0.043 0.056
    Hoffman 1A Setting 3 0.100 0.158 0.200
    Hoffman 1A Setting 4 0.108 0.160 0.210
    Hoffman 1A Setting 5 0.140 0.220 0.290
    Hoffman 1A Setting 6 0.145 0.225 0.300
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,477
    Options
    The Hoffman 1a is a good vent but the slop in the adjustment makes it difficult to know whee they are really set at

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge