Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pics to share....

Options
Timco
Timco Member Posts: 3,040
edited February 2017 in THE MAIN WALL
Fun 840,000k steamer. My first 60" wrench. Would have preferred a float activated condensate tank but this was light. I'm in a sub-basement.

Just a guy running some pipes.
RickBlackford

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,539
    Options
    Yeah, I bet that one was a blast probably 3 floors below grade. Is the header 3" & the supply 4"??

Never had a 5'wrench. If I can't do it with a 3 footer I'll weld it.
    a stinger is a lot lighter than a 5' wrench LOL

Looks like your in a tight spot there
  • Timco
    Options
    All 5". Ties into building in 6".
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,539
    Options
    No wonder you needed the 5'!!
  • LionA29
    LionA29 Member Posts: 255
    Options
    What a Beast!
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    @Timco, is that bushing, in that elbow, on the horizontal, just before it goes up to the main going to hold water in that elbow and cause a problem? Maybe a little hammer?
    Timco
  • Timco
    Options
    Fred said:

@Timco, is that bushing, in that elbow, on the horizontal, just before it goes up to the main going to hold water in that elbow and cause a problem? Maybe a little hammer?

Sure hope not. Not enough room for a bell reducer. The old one hammered so bad the boiler shook.
  • Timco
    Options
    They didn't have a 6x5 in the valley. I'll look into shipping options Monday if you think that will be an issue.
  • LionA29
    Options
    > @Timco said:
    > @Timco, is that bushing, in that elbow, on the horizontal, just before it goes up to the main going to hold water in that elbow and cause a problem? Maybe a little hammer?
    >
    > Sure hope not. Not enough room for a bell reducer. The old one hammered so bad the boiler shook.

I totally agree with @Fred, possibly a reducing elbow if available.
    Timco
  • Timco
    Options
    Fortunately it's not too hard to access if I have issues. I can always get one coming and plan on swapping it. There is good slope but it will catch some water.
  • Fred
    Options
    Timco said:

They didn't have a 6x5 in the valley. I'll look into shipping options Monday if you think that will be an issue.

I think a reducing elbow, as @LionA29 suggests would be the better way to go. Let's see if anyone else has an opinion.
    Timco
  • john p_2
    john p_2 Member Posts: 367
    Options
    What about increasing in size with the flanges? Smaller size on the bottom, larger on top.
    Timco
  • Timco
    Options
    john p said:

What about increasing in size with the flanges? Smaller size on the bottom, larger on top.

I'll ask about that tomorrow. Great idea! Lots of 6" parts available. Very limited on 5".
  • Timco
    Options
    Well, it's 6" flanges and bush below bottom flange. Only option.
  • Fred
    Options
    Timco said:

Well, it's 6" flanges and bush below bottom flange. Only option.

That works, as long as the bushing is on the vertical and not on a horizontal.
  • Timco
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Well, how does this look?
  • Fred
    Options
    No Picture
  • Timco
    Options
    Won't load. Hmmmmm.
  • Timco
    Options

• Gsmith
    Gsmith Member Posts: 432
    Options
    Looks great!
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    @Timco in the future, I'd suggest having the blowoff valve for the LWCO directly under the LWCO with a tee and run the bull of the tee back to the boiler. That way you'll get the float chamber emptying instead of drawing water out of the bottom of the boiler for your weekly blowdowns.
  • Timco
    Options

@Timco in the future, I'd suggest having the blowoff valve for the LWCO directly under the LWCO with a tee and run the bull of the tee back to the boiler. That way you'll get the float chamber emptying instead of drawing water out of the bottom of the boiler for your weekly blowdowns.

It's funny you mention that. I was thinking to myself just today that it seems like that will pull from the boiler. I had it as you say to be honest, left for parts, and my helpers changed it to as you see. Not too hard to fix. Thanks.
  • john p_2
    Options
    Very hard to tell from your photo angle where you re-installed the bushing? Or did you?
  • Fred
    Options
    It right under that flange.
  • john p_2
    Options
    OK, glad it worked out? No leaks?
  • Timco
    Options
    john p said:

OK, glad it worked out? No leaks?

Fill it tomorrow.
  • LionA29
    Options
    @Timco that big boy looks ready to steam. Good luck.
  • Timco
    Options
    Heats great & silent! Returns hammer and I have a couple drips to fix.
  • john p_2
    Options
    Drops due to the replied parts? Uggggghhhh
  • Fred
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Are all the wet returns below the water line on this new boiler and any drips tied together below the water line? If not they are going to get steam and hammer .
  • john p_2
    Options
    Drips due to the replied parts? Uggggghhhh
  • Timco
    Options
    Yep. Moved those joints a few times. It all comes apart tomorrow but it fits so I'm not building as I go.
  • Timco
    Options
    Fred said:

Are all the wet returns below the water line on this new boiler and any drips tied together below the water line? If not they are going to get steam and hammer .

I call returns below the boiler wet. These are 1.5 & 2" and all three have new main vents. The hammer is 20' closer to condensate tank past main vents. These carry condensate and air. Tank is not vented, just a vac breaker.
  • Fred
    Options
    Yes those are wet but steam must be getting in them from somewhere or they wouldn't hammer. There may be a hidden wet return somewhere that may be above the new boiler's water line???
  • Fred
    Options
    Do those three mains/dry returns drop below the water line before they connect to the wet return?
    hituw2x4
  • Timco
    Options
    All three come into the boiler room upper level, drop at their vent about a foot, then travel to next to the boiler on the upper level before coming together and dropping into the pit and drain to the collection box. Pics tomorrow.
  • Fred
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I think you'll find that they all need to drop into the pit individually and then come together and drain into the collection box. Otherwise you're passing steam from one return into another. That's where your hammer is coming from.
  • Timco
    Options
    I'll post pics later. I'm really happy with these results. That old smith banged and actually moved on cold starts with that dead header and tie in 3". Garbage install. Mine is silent. Have to lower the LWCO too.
  • Timco
    Options
    What's your fav way to clean the oils from a new startup out?
  • Fred
    Options
    All the approaches, if done right yield the same result. It is a very slow process. Raise the water level until it just starts to dribble out of the skim port. close the port and bring the boiler water up to just below boiling. At that point, open the skim port and use the manual water supply valve to allow the water to dribble out of the skim port. By dribble, I mean a flow no larger than the diameter of a pencil. Use a 5 gallon bucket to catch the water. It tkaes at least an hour or two to fill a 5 gallon bucket. You need to drain several buckets full (four or five). When done, close the skim port, lower the water level in the boiler and fire it up. The boiler will need to be skimmed at least two or three more times, about a week or two apart to get all the oils out. I personally use a garden hose. If you can rig one up on the side of a five gallon bucket and run the hose over to a floor drain, I run the hose over to a floor drain, set the water dribble into the bucket and let it run over night. I don't have to be there to empty buckets that way.
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    The @Hatterasguy sliced-cap (tm) on the skim port speeds things up quite a bit. I made my own and I've hed pretty good results skimming a lgb-14 in less than 4 hours last week. Will probably do another skim next week but water line is damn stable after a single 4 hour skim.