Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil furnace problem

Options
thadri
thadri Member Posts: 17
edited February 2017 in Oil Heating
Hello everyone!
I have a Rheem oil furnace circa 2009 2010. Lately, it will fire up and the fan will start the forced hot air as normal. Before it reaches the desired temp, the furnace will stop firing and I hear a clicking noise until it fires back up again, this process will continue until
the desired temp is reached. It never used to do this and I assume it's a problem, any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    To me that would indicate the furnace is running up to high limit, and shutting down like it is suppose to do for safety (the fan keeps running, and the burner fires again). But why is it doing that now and not before. Maybe it's an airflow issue, like dirty air filter, or failing blower motor.
    I'm not sure about the clicking noise, if it's not an expansion noise then maybe something is happening in the board or the fan/limit control.
    Either way the problem isn't going to cure itself, and I would recommend a competent oil tech to come over and troubleshoot the problem
    steve
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,519
    Options
    Check your air filter it could be pluggged
  • thadri
    Options
    Just changed the air filterin anticipation of finding a solution. I'm starting to think it has to do with airflow too since upon startup it runs fine for a few minutes and then the problem starts near end of heating session
  • thadri
    Options
    Maybe it could be something else too that triggers the safety mechanism???
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,519
    Options
    Make sure your supply and return air ducts registers are not blocked.

Shut the furnace off and remove the cover for the blower and check the blower
  • thadri
    Options
    Ok I will, what should I look for?
  • BornForDying
    BornForDying Member Posts: 40
    edited February 2017
    Options
    > @thadri said:
    > Ok I will, what should I look for?

Anything that shouldn't be there.

If you could post some pictures of the furnace, that may help. See a lot of poorly installed furnaces tripping high limit due to inadequate ducting.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,833
    Options
    Your clicking noise and erratic burner is from the relay on the side of the primary control (where the reset button is). You'll see your thermostats wires to terminals R,W,G,Y,C. You can feel the little black relay clicking when calling for heat. You need a new Beckett A/C ready terminal block, less transformer.
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • thadri
    Options
    The air duct work is from 2010 so besides and mice foul play, I can't see anything being blocked. So do people think it's the terminal block or an airflow problem. I checked out the blower, vacuumed a bit but it didn't seem that dirty, just some general dust on the small blades.
  • HVACNUT
    Options
    If you have the setup I described, then that is your problem. The relay in the Beckett A/C ready kits fail frequently and the symptoms are exactly what you described.
  • thadri
    Options
    Cool any recommendations on where to get a new one? Safety tips on changing it? Really appreciate the help
  • Marz
    Marz Member Posts: 90
    Options
    Definitely sounds like the Beckett terminal strip. Beckett part number is
    #51Kit terminal Base. transformer delete.
  • thadri
    Options
    Sweet people! Where to buy?
  • HVACNUT
    Options
    Don't know where you live. Sid Harvey,
    Blackman plumbing supply. Maybe Grainger.
    Take pics of the wiring and the terminals they're attached to in the primary junction box. Probably need some wire nuts as the factory splices are crimp connections. Needle nose pliers.
  • thadri
    Options
    Ok will do I will post them tomorrow, I live in RI haven't heard of those places haha...
  • thadri
    Options
    Looks like there is a graingers near me
  • thadri
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Here is the pic of the part I believe you gents are speaking of
  • thadri
    Options

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Those bare wires need to either be wrapped around the screws, or double the spade connections.
    I also recommend a qualified tech to diagnose and repair your problem. If that wasn't the problem, or you short a component out by wiring it wrong, it will cost you way more than paying someone in the first place.
    And if you buy it from Grainger's...nevermind, do what ya want.
    steve
    thadri
  • thadri
    Options
    I won't wire it wrong because I don't rush, I can go slow be safe and learn which is the whole point of this forum, If I get the exact same part and take my time I'm sure I can avoid a short, just want to learn safely about my system without a negative outlook
  • thadri
    Options
    That was a setup by a qualified tech when the house was built only six years ago
  • Leonard
    Leonard Member Posts: 903
    Options
    googal "sid harvey rhode island"
    there's one in providence RI
    thadri
  • thadri
    Options
    thank you I will!
  • thadri
    Options
    Is this the part I need? The poster above has me scared about getting the right part and its on freakin amazon????????

https://amazon.com/R-W-Beckett-Corp-51950U-Ready/dp/B00QW279LI
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • HVACNUT
    Options
    Yeah, that's the part. You don't need the transformer but if it comes with, it won't hurt.
    Not rocket science thadri. I have faith.
    Those bare wires are fine, don't wrap around screws, just get them under the terminal plate.
    I don't know what's wrong with Grainger. Must be a Flyers fan.
  • thadri
    Options
    Thank you HVACNUT. What do you mean by "just get them under the terminal plate"? I plan to tag each and every wire and use photos to match installation.
  • HVACNUT
    Options
    The screw terminals have a little square plate attached. When you tighten the screw it sandwiches the wires.
    Like I mentioned earlier, those Beckett A/C ready kits fail frequently. That's how I knew right away what the issue was just by your explanation. I miss the old fan center controls. Sometimes technology is a bad thing.
  • thadri
    Options
    Worked like a charm!!! Thanks to the helpers. Even changed it to the new transformer since I was in there
    CTOilHeat
  • HVACNUT
    Options
    Nice!