Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Ignition and run problem PUZZLING!!!

132mcg
132mcg Member Posts: 4
I'm having an issue with a Beckett oil burner, when my transformer is ajar, the furnace will ignite and run fine. If I push the transformer down to latch it, I lose my fire. If I undo the clips, the fire comes back. Any ideas?

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Check the alignment between the transformer springs and the electrodes.

It's also possible that there's too much air to the burner or too little oil being atomized.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • 132mcg
    Thank you, I'll check it out.
  • 132mcg
    I've checked alignment of transformer to electrodes, it's all in check. Is it possible I'm not getting enough air for combustion due to a problem with the cage or coupler?
  • Ironman
    No, not enough fuel or too much air.

When was the last time the nozzle and filter were changed?
    Bob Boan
  • 132mcg
    Nozzle and filter are new, it calls for a .50x80A, I had a .60x80B and it ran great. Put new pump in as old one wouldn't hold pressure, tried putting in the 50 nozzle and it wouldn't light or run.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    If you changed the pump you probably changed the oil pressure along with it. Sounds like too much air, when you loosen the transformer air leaks out so the burner will run.

That's what it seems like. You need to get a combustion analyzer on this and set it up properly
    132mcgIronman
  • Ironman
    132mcg said:

Nozzle and filter are new, it calls for a .50x80A, I had a .60x80B and it ran great. Put new pump in as old one wouldn't hold pressure, tried putting in the 50 nozzle and it wouldn't light or run.

It would have been easier to diagnose if you would have mentioned changing the pump from the beginning.

Bob Boan
  • BornForDying
    BornForDying Member Posts: 40
    Set it up using Beckett's residential burner guide which will get you in the ballpark, then fine tune with combustion tester.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    What was the pump pressure on the old pump? It may have been running 140 PSI. The new ones are 100 out of the box. That will lower your firing rate, and all adjustments are set for a higher rate.