Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

heating a swimming pool

ddenny
ddenny Member Posts: 75
my friend needs a new boiler for his home and also wants to use it to heat his built in swimming pool. anyone have experience with that? is he better off going to a pool installer or does anyone have experience with heating a swimming pool?

Comments

• Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    All the hydronic pool heating setups I've seen were piped as a zone. I don't think I'd oversize the boiler for it though. I'm assuming the pool would be drained in the winter.

I'd consider bringing pool water into an always heated space, or a glycol loop out to the pool area with plate HX on either end.

I've seen some older I stalls with Everhot "all copper" tanks heating the pool water basically as a high output indirect. I'd check with some pool people what holds up to the pool water.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    Zman
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    You can find free online pool heater sizing guides. See what size is needed for the pool first.

http://poolheaterguide.com/what-size-heater-do-you-need.html

Then run a load calc for the home. unless it is a sizable home, I'll bet the pool requirement will be much larger.

http://www.usboiler.net/heat-loss-calculator.html
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    ZmanGordy
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited January 2017
    Put it like this. A 24' diameter above ground needs 150k heater which will raise the pool temp 1/2 degree per hour. Some of my monthly pool heating therms were higher than heating 3400sf in the month of January.........depending on month, and solar activity.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Systems with pools where the owner is not super picky about pool water temps can be "deprioritized". This eliminates the need to combine both loads when sizing the boiler. The pool's temp may drop a few degrees but the house will never be cold.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    edited January 2017
    Run some tubing under the blacktop in the driveway and let the sun heat your friend's pool.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    We have done a number of pools using a titanium heat exchanger and a modcon. If salt is used, even a marine grade S/S flat plate hx will leak! This one is 400,000 BTU. It is run as a zone. Becareful of the flow rate of the pool pumps. Too much flow and there is insuficient heat transfer.

• mknmike
    mknmike Member Posts: 82
    I might be digging up old bones, but I’m researching and trying to design dream scenarios for a house I recently purchased with a pool.  On the list of possible enhancements include:
    - upgrade cast iron natural gas boiler to modcon
    - install heater in the garage, maybe AC making it finished space.  Natural gas line is being run to the garage.
    - install a heating loop under the driveway to not have to shovel snow, but perhaps this could double as a pool water heater??  There’s a brick patio next to the pool that also has to be redone, so maybe loops go under this too.

I was thinking of buying an identical modcon for the house as the garage, so if we ever need parts, I could steal them from the other unit.  

Is a titanium heat exchanger required for a Bromine pool?  It gets chlorine shock occasionally.  

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    mknmike said:

I might be digging up old bones, but I’m researching and trying to design dream scenarios for a house I recently purchased with a pool.  On the list of possible enhancements include:
    - upgrade cast iron natural gas boiler to modcon
    - install heater in the garage, maybe AC making it finished space.  Natural gas line is being run to the garage.
    - install a heating loop under the driveway to not have to shovel snow, but perhaps this could double as a pool water heater??  There’s a brick patio next to the pool that also has to be redone, so maybe loops go under this too.

I was thinking of buying an identical modcon for the house as the garage, so if we ever need parts, I could steal them from the other unit.  

Is a titanium heat exchanger required for a Bromine pool?  It gets chlorine shock occasionally.  

This would be better as a new post.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein