Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Can Ecobee3 control 2 Stage Heat Pump and One Pipe Steam?

New to the board and have followed it for several years. I have a single 2 stage heat pump with 2 zones, one thermo upstairs and one downstairs. the down thermostat formerly controlled the boiler and my question is can ecobee3 control all my stuff? I currently have Nests and have to switch to emergency heat to engage the boiler, manually. I do have a C wire, dont need the PEK.

My wish is to engage the boiler based on outside temp rather than having to do it manually.

Is ecobee3 a better solution than Nest - tech savvy but having a hard time wrapping my head around how to perhaps wire the thing, if possible. Thanks in advance, bertye

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    The ecobee3 is a two stage thermostat and does not have support for a third (emergency) heat stage or for an outdoor sensor.

The Honeywell TH6320WF2003 Lyric WiFi stat does support an outdoor sensor (either wired or wireless) to manage the changeover.
  • bertye
    bertye Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, I will check that out.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,831
    Ask Alex The Wire Nut Marx...he can figure out ANY wiring strategies. Oh Alex.....Mad Dog
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 950
    For conventional forced air dual fuel, it uses the outdoor temp it gets over the WiFi to change over.

I think you'd be better off with a Honeywell VP or Prestige with EIM.