Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam horror show...

kcopp
kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
I was asked to look at a steam boiler piping that had a bit of a leak on it today... prob the worst I have seen. So lazy was the install they couldn't remove the old Timken box from the EMT....

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Disgusting !!!
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    You really don't know that you just don't know if you would leave your name tag hanging on this. The tag looks too new to be from the original install. However, if I were to tinker with this at all as far as service, I wouldn't leave any indication that I was ever there.
    t
    TinmanRomanGK_26986764589kcoppCanucker
  • Hey, that installer gets around! I ran into his work today:

New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
  • Dave0176
    Dave0176 Member Posts: 1,177
    As the title of this thread states "Horror Show" WOW some plumbers should just stick to Hot water boilers.
    DL Mechanical LLC Heating, Cooling and Plumbing 732-266-5386
    NJ Master HVACR Lic# 4630
    Specializing in Steam Heating, Serving the residents of New Jersey
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/dl-mechanical-llc

https://m.facebook.com/DL-Mechanical-LLC-315309995326627/?ref=content_filter

I cannot force people to spend money, I can only suggest how to spend it wisely.......
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Dave0176 said:

As the title of this thread states "Horror Show" WOW some plumbers should just stick to Hot water boilers.

LOL, I agree!
  • kcopp
    Landlord asked I do the minimum to get it working right.... :#
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    edited December 2016
    What's with the ratchet strap and 2x4 on the chimney? Is that what's holding it together?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Canucker
    Canucker Member Posts: 722

Hey, that installer gets around! I ran into his work today:

If it's the same installer, they've at least learned that copper pipe comes in different lengths for their riser work. Much fewer fittings compared to @kcopp pics. Haha
    You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    I really think we need a wall of shame on this site. Actually let me rephrase, perhaps a "how not to do it" section. That would approach more from the educational side instead of the "bashing" side. Could be a good place for people to look at how not to do it. Perhaps sub forums under a couple categories? Strictly Steam with a sub forum of How No To Do It. The value of it would be keeping all the poor installs in one place for review of anyone visiting the site.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    New England SteamWorks
  • kcopp
    Boiler was installed in 2011.
    Looks like that was prob the 2nd or 3rd chop-and-swap.
    I have video of the steam wafting up from the leak on the 2" cma going into the main.
    Crazy thing is that its just for heat.... he couldn't call in July????
    For me it not a 1 day job and it is in the 20's all week.
  • kcopp
    There is a heating hell category....
    RomanGK_26986764589
  • KC_Jones
    kcopp said:

Landlord asked I do the minimum to get it working right.... :#

Do you think he will foot the bill for a re-pipe or send you packing until they find someone to do a "minimum job"?
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • KC_Jones
    kcopp said:

There is a heating hell category....

I keep forgetting about that one!
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • kcopp
    What do you think... I did tell him the minimum was to pipe it right....just what it says in the directions. Which are in the packet next to the boiler. Never opened.
  • KC_Jones
    kcopp said:

What do you think... I did tell him the minimum was to pipe it right....just what it says in the directions. Which are in the packet next to the boiler. Never opened.

Of course they aren't open. "I've been doing this for......"
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • adambnyc
    adambnyc Member Posts: 260
    Looks like someone dug the basement down and didn't do any foundation underpinning or reinforcement of any kind. Pretty scary. That's probably why the chimney is held together with straps and 2x4.

I'm struggling to think that anyone who considers themselves a pro would ever pipe this way. Gotta be the HO or family friend.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    I would get a big chunk of money up front or I wouldn't go back. And I would still think twice about it (maybe more like 5 times)

Are we supposed to fix everyone else's problems while working for a landlord who doesn't care (just do the minimum)??? And you know the tenant doesn't care , just want's heat.

It will be a boiler replacement every few years. And the landlord gives the boiler replacement to the cheapest quote.

He got just what he deserved!!

We sit here blaming the installer (yes he did a real crappy job, no standards)

Landlord is the real problem, and none of us can educate him