Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Constructive thoughts please.

Options
moberg
moberg Member Posts: 2

I'm getting conflicting answers wether or not this is piped properly. It seems to be working just fine. It is a three zone system, with pumps on the feed.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    Can't really tell -- but

If it's working just fine... I am fond of saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    moberg
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    If it ain't broke, you can't fix it
    What conflicting answers are you getting? If it's suppose to be p/s, maybe you're t's are too far apart.
    Is the main primary loop sized big enough for maximum btu's needed?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• BBros
    BBros Member Posts: 41
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Looks to me like you have returns piped in upstream of the supply for 2 out of the three. That would mean the pump (zone) on the left of the photo would have quite cool water if both of the other zones were calling. The middle zone would be affected similarly to a lesser degree. Perhaps that's what others are worried about.

I'm not a pro though, so hopefully someone else will chime in.

delta T
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    That setup will probably work just fine. Pretty sure you won't find it in the manual.
    I have never understood why you would set it up so that each zone gets cooler water than the one before.
    Chances are the main loop is moving so fast it won't matter.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    delta Tmoberg
  • njtommy
    njtommy Member Posts: 1,105
    edited December 2016
    Options
    It's not wrong, but as stated above you could get cooler water going into the supply's piped like that. I probably wouldn't of piped it like that due to the extra copper cost, but I'm sure you will be fine.

Sometimes it's hard to stand there and visualize how to pipe something from scratch and then make a decision and stick with a design.
    delta Tmoberg
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    Options
    It will work, really not quite best practice, though I won't go so far as to say its wrong. The problem is as others have outlined, you have cooler and cooler water successively feeding each zone. Doubt it will be an issue. They tied the feed water in at an odd place, but that won't really cause an issue, you have valves in all the right places to easily purge out any air.

Can't fault the workmanship at all, looks sharp!
    njtommymoberg
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,693
    Options
    Those pumps are on the return? I tend to push the water than pull it.

The "one zone feeds the next" is only bad if the zones are indeed the same design or temp requirements. If its bb first then a few panel rads then some floor heating, it's brilliant piping design
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    Canuckermoberg
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    I assume there is a primary pump inside the boiler?

Pumping into a P/S loop is not the best practice. Without knowing the pressure drop in those secondary, it is hard to predict the ∆P.

What temperature does the system run?
    High temperature and low pressure could coax some cavitation.

Pumping Away never forget that concept

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    mobergSolid_Fuel_Man
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,693
    Options
    The condensate drain is a bit rough
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    moberg
  • moberg
    moberg Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks guys. There is an internal pump on Primary loop. My secondary pumps are on the feed. Also the loop is 11/4. Thank you for your feed back. Greatly appreciated. If I pipe another one I'll do things a little different.
  • njtommy
    njtommy Member Posts: 1,105
    Options
    @moberg just google wall mount boilers and click images. There's a ton of pictures on line to give you ideas.
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    Did one that way once. Customer who is very fussy has never complained...we all learn as we go...:)
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    The idronics package is very educational.
    delta T
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Consider a hydroseperator on the next one. It cleans up the piping and performs 4 functions.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Zmandelta T